Tyson Fury ditches plan to fight in December, says he will return to ring in 2021
'Only those that have supported me 100% since my comeback will be with me for the glory
Tyson Fury's proposed bout in London next month against an unnamed opponent is off after the WBC heavyweight champion confirmed he will not return to the ring until next year.
The Englishman, 32, has not fought since February when he inflicted a seventh-round stoppage on Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas to become a two-time world champion.
Fury announced last month his next fight will take place in London on December 5 against an as yet unnamed opponent, scuppering the chance of an immediate rematch against Wilder.
Fury gave no reason for the cancellation, nor did he say who his opponent would be next year, saying only that he would now fight in 2021.
"The Gypsy King is returning in 2021," Fury wrote on Twitter. "Only those that have supported me 100% since my comeback will be with me for the glory."
American Wilder had called on Fury to agree to a third fight after the first bout in 2018 ended in a draw. However, Fury refused after Wilder accused him of cheating in their February bout.
Fury has not fought in the UK since August 2018, with his past four bouts taking place in the US.
With a third instalment against Wilder shelved, talks of possible meeting with IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO champion Anthony Joshua for the undisputed world heavyweight title are sure to gather traction.
Joshua is due to defend his IBF, WBA and WBO titles against Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev at London's O2 Arena on December 12.
Promoter Eddie Hearn said in June that Fury and Joshua had agreed financial terms for a two-fight deal with the first slated for the summer of 2021.
Updated: November 16, 2020 01:14 PM