Mike Tyson to make boxing comeback at the age of 54
Former heavyweight champion to take on Roy Jones Jr. in September
Former world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson said on Thursday he will make a comeback at age 54, fighting Roy Jones Jr. on September 12 in Los Angeles.
Tyson, who retired in 2005, made the announcement on his Legends Only League website. Tyson is set to take on 51-year-old Jones, who briefly held the heavyweight title and has fought consistently into his 50s.
"It's just going to be amazing," Tyson said.
According to Reuters, the eight-round fight will be part of a three-hour pay per view event shown on Triller – a social media and music platform – which has also obtained streaming rights to a 10-part series featuring behind-the-scenes and pre-fight footage leading up to the bout.
The programme is also set include a major undercard as well as musical performances.
Tyson had earlier teased fans about a possible return to the ring in May when the champion boxer posted videos of himself training.
In one video, Tyson, the first heavyweight to hold the WBA, WBC and IBF titles, was seen hitting the pads with tremendous power and precision before signing off with the message "I'm back".
Tyson later said he was interested in returning to the ring to raise money for charity and potential opponents immediately started to line up for a bout against 'Iron Mike'.
Old rival Evander Holyfield and New Zealand rugby great Sonny Bill Williams were among those reported to be in line for the fight before Jones Jr. was picked.
Jones, who has simultaneously held a record seven belts, last fought in 2018.
Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion of all time when he defeated Trevor Berbick in 1986 aged 20. He won 50 of his 58 professional fights before retiring in 2005 after a loss to Kevin McBride.
Updated: July 23, 2020 10:47 PM