Abu Dhabi, UAEWednesday 25 November 2020

UFC

Khabib Nurmagomedov refuses to give any attention to Conor McGregor – 'even if they give me $5 billion'

Long-time UFC rivals met in record-breaking clash in Las Vegas two years ago, with the Dagestan native emerging victorious

Khabib Nurmagomedov says he is done with Conor McGregor, and not even $5 billion would tempt him into giving his former foe “good attention”.

The undefeated lightweight champion, who returns to action later this month in Abu Dhabi, was recently offered the opportunity by the UFC to feature as an opposing coach to McGregor in the upcoming reboot of “The Ultimate Fighter”. However, UFC president Dana White has since confirmed that Nurmagomedov declined the offer.

In an interview with ESPN on Tuesday, the Dagestan native said he wasn’t interested in adding even more publicity to McGregor, whom he defeated in their record-breaking clash in Las Vegas two years ago.

"'The Ultimate Fighter' with him is good attention for him," Nurmagomedov said. "I don't want to give him this. I never give him this. Even if they give me $5 billion, even if they gave me the UFC, I never do this. This is good attention for him.

"It's done. Everything is done October 6, 2018. I finish him. I finish everything about him."

Nurmagomedov, whose professional record stands at 28-0, makes his long-awaited comeback at UFC 254 on Yas Island on October 24, when he takes on interim champion Justin Gaethje. It brings down the curtain on the five-event “Return to Fight Island”, the UFC’s second residency in the capital.

Nurmagomedov, 32, has not fought since his victory against Dustin Poirier in September last year. That bout also took place in Abu Dhabi.

McGregor, meanwhile, has competed only once since his submission defeat to the lightweight No 1 at UFC 229, when he knocked out Donald Cerrone within 40 seconds in January.

A rematch with Nurmagomedov has long been mooted, but the Russian has always appeared pretty unwelcoming to the idea.

On Tuesday Nurmagomedov told ESPN: "I had new challenge in Dustin Poirier and now Justin Gaethje. We'll see who it's going to be next, but I don't think it's going to be Conor McGregor."

_____________

Khabib on UFC 254 clash with Gaethje

Updated: October 13, 2020 10:16 AM

THE DAILY NEWSLETTER
Sign up to our daily email