Dustin Poirier calls Conor McGregor UFC trilogy fight 'one of the biggest of all time'
US fighter says third bout with Irishman – with Abu Dhabi again a potential host – 'makes a lot of sense and a lot of money'
Dustin Poirier says a trilogy clash with Conor McGregor could be the one of the biggest fights of all time, as their respective teams attempt to strike a deal for the bout.
Poirier, the former lightweight interim champion, defeated McGregor at UFC 257 in Abu Dhabi last month, sealing the win at Etihad Arena by second-round TKO to even their rivalry at 1-1. The pair met in 2014, with McGregor prevailing in the first round.
The Irishman, a former two-division world champion, has since said he would like the chance to avenge the loss, something Poirier is also keen on.
Speaking during an appearance on The Joe Rogan Experience released on Friday, the American said: “Conor wants the trilogy, and I do, too. If they want to do it, let’s do it.”
Now the lightweight division’s No 1-ranked challenger – champion Khabib Nurmagomedov appears to be committed to his retirement – Poirier said he would ideally like the trilogy for June or July. That may open the door for Abu Dhabi, during a fourth Fight Island series, to potentially host.
Given his position in the division, and his performance against McGregor in the capital, Poirier knows his value when it comes to the negotiating table.
“We’re just trying to get the right deal structured,” he said. “This is going to be a big fight. He knocked me out; I knocked him out; the trilogy. For sure one of the biggest fights this year, but maybe of all time.
“I don’t directly talk to them. They talk to my manager, Rob Roveta. We try to put ourselves in the best position to sit at the table with them and have a legit conversation about getting this fight booked. We’re trying to structure the right deal, and when that happens, the fight will be on. Until then, we’ll see.
Gallery: McGregor beats Poirier in first fight
“I think the trilogy makes a lot of sense and a lot of money. So we’re just trying to get the right deal structured and see what the timeframe is. For a guy like Conor, you want fans in there, even if it’s limited.
"Right now at the [UFC] Apex where they’re set up in America, there’s obviously no fans. So where do you do that? And what’s the timeframe?”
While Poirier said the McGregor fight represents priority at the moment, he did not rule out taking on Charles Oliveira for the lightweight title, should Nurmagomedov vacate the crown. Poirier cited a move up to welterweight to face Nate Diaz as a possible next bout, too.
However, he said he did not believe McGregor deserved a shot at the lightweight belt, if that was available.
“No, I don’t think,” Poirier said. “Conor’s been away so long. His last two fights at 155, he’s lost. So you can’t put him in there for a title fight. How could you justify doing that when you have guys like Oliveira?”
Updated: February 27, 2021 02:40 PM