Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury 'approve' site offer for undisputed heavyweight summer fight

Promoter Eddie Hearn has not confirmed date and location but insists both teams have agreed on a destination

Promoter Eddie Hearn has revealed that both Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury have "approved" the site offer for their undisputed unification heavyweight title fight this summer.

It was revealed last week by Hearn that multiple offers had been made to host the mega-bout – the first of two fights in a deal reported to be worth £200 million ($275m) – and that both teams would evaluate the options.

Matchroom CEO Hearn, who represents IBF, WBA, and WBO champion Joshua, has not announced the date and venue yet, but said a site had been agreed.

"Both sides have approved the site offer that they want to go with, and now we're just finalising the site deal and we're in a great place," Hearn told Behind The Gloves. "I saw Tyson yesterday. I just messaged him and said, 'I'm in Vegas, I'm in your hotel if you fancy a cuppa'.

"We just had five or 10 minutes together and it was good, because I don't represent Tyson Fury, so I don't know what is in his mind. What he basically cemented in my mind was, this is the only fight he wants, and I know that's the same with AJ.

"It just good to say, right we've got the offer, we all approve. We're moving forward now. We're good. It has been agreed by both sides, the option that we will take, and you'll get the date very soon and the official announcement."

Among the locations in contention to host the fight is Saudi Arabia, where Joshua reclaimed his titles at the 'Clash on the Dunes' event in December 2019 having lost by shock knockout to Andy Ruiz Jr six months prior.

Fury, meanwhile, also became a two-time heavyweight champion when he defeated American Deontay Wilder with a clinical seventh round stoppage to win the WBC title in February 2020.

__________________

Best photos from Wilder v Fury 2

__________________

Dubai, the United States, China, Qatar, Singapore, and the United Kingdom are also reported to be in the running. Wherever the fight ultimately takes place, Hearn insists it will happen in the summer.

"One hundred per cent," he said. "That's the thing. Everybody wants this fight as soon as possible.

"There is no option for this fight to go at the back end of the year, and I've made that clear. The hardest thing about securing the site is in this world we live in today, most people would like to kick it to November, December. That's not available. It was never available.

"What was available was a summer fight for the undisputed world heavyweight championship. That is what you're going to get. Both guys want two fights this year. One will be in the summer and one will be in December."

Published: April 16, 2021 01:23 PM

SHARE

Editor's Picks
NEWSLETTERS
Sign up to:

* Please select one