Matt Giteu hints on Twitter that he is not in Australia Rugby World Cup squad
SYDNEY // Veteran fly-half Matt Giteau has hinted he has been overlooked for Australia's Rugby World Cup squad in a message on his Twitter account.
The Wallabies are due to name their 30-man squad tomorrow, but Giteau broke rank this morning to suggest his omission in a cryptic message on the social networking site.
"Thank u ballboys, thank u linesman? That's it..." he wrote.
Giteau's place in the squad has been uncertain after he had fallen out of favour since the Wallabies' shock loss to Samoa last month. The veteran of 91 Tests has not been included in the match-day squad since.
Should Giteau be left out of Australia's squad it could spell the end of his international career with the 28-year-old due to join French side Toulon after the World Cup.
Australia coach Robbie Deans was due to inform players today whether they were in the squad for the World Cup, which begins in New Zealand on September 9.
Deans said he and fellow selectors did not expect any surprises from the fitness tests, and had already resolved all the places in the World Cup squad.
"We've had all those internal selection discussions and we're clear in our mind," he said.
Hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, prop James Slipper, back-row forward Wycliff Palu and winger Drew Mitchell have yet to return from serious injuries sustained during the Super Rugby season, while fly-half Berrick Barnes and centre Rob Horne have rejoined their club sides.
"We've been watching [the injured players] and we know where they're at, but today is an opportunity to see them and talk to them," Deans said. "We've got the squad resolved, it's just communicating it now."
Giteau's tweet is not the first time an Australian sportsman has used Twitter to reveal they had been left out of international duty.
Two years ago Test cricket opener Phil Hughes tweeted he had been dropped on the morning of the third Ashes Test in England.
Published: August 17, 2011 04:00 AM