In a new twist to the Jorge Valdivia transfer sage, the Chilean’s agent has threatened to take Fujairah to Fifa for reneging on their contract with the former Al Ain star.
Valdivia, 30, arrived in the country amid much fanfare last month to sign a one-year deal with promoted club Fujairah after bidding adieu to the fans of his Brazilian club Palmeiras on his official Instagram page.
The club released photographs of Valdivia, wrapped in a Fujairah scarf, following his arrival on July 17, but two days later, the player left the country without officially signing a contract, according to the club.
Media reports at the time claimed he was forced to return as his wife was unwell, but the following day, she posted photographs on social media, enjoying a party with friends. A few days later, Fujairah announced their talks with Valdivia were off after the two sides failed to agree to personal terms.
Valdivia’s agent Wagner Ribeiro, however, insists they had signed an official deal, worth €5.5 million (Dh27m), and blamed Fujairah for reneging on the contract for “absurd reasons”, without offering to explain what those reasons were.
“We will go to Fifa and Fujairah will have to answer why they went back on the deal,” Ribeiro said in an interview with Brazilian website Globoesporte. “All this mess has been created by them. I am going to hire Marcos Motta [a lawyer] to file a lawsuit against Fujairah because the contract was signed by all parties and we have a copy of it.
“Valdivia will hold a press conference soon to clarify everything and show the signed contract. He has done nothing wrong and he is being criticised unfairly.”
Nobody has heard from Valdivia since he left the UAE, with neither Palmeiras nor his father knowing about his whereabouts. Valdivia senior had even expressed concerns about the safety of his son after failing to hear from him.
There is still confusion about his whereabouts with Ribeiro saying Valdivia is in Brazil, while his father said he had seen him in the Chilean capital of Santiago.
“Valdivia returned to Chile this [Tuesday] morning, around 10am or 11am,” father Luis Valdivia was quoted as saying in the Brazilian media. “I saw him on television, but was unable to speak by phone. Now I’m more relaxed, because before I did not know if he was in America, in Sao Paulo or here in Chile. I hope to talk to him in the night.”
Ribeiro, however, insists Valdivia had not gone “missing”, as claimed by the Brazilian media, and had gone on a 15-day vacation to the United States with the permission of Fujairah.
“Valdivia did nothing wrong and was released by his new club [Fujairah] for the 15-day vacation,” said Ribeiro, whose client list also includes Brazil and Barcelona superstar Neymar. “Everything was agreed. I was in Paris negotiating with a French club when the deal was closed. Valdivia travelled to Fujairah, signed a contract, was introduced by the club, posed for photographs and signed autographs.
“After that, the transfer was rejected [by Fujairah] for absurd reasons, but we have a copy of the signed contract and we are going to present our case. There is a deal and Palmeiras should receive their money.”
When contacted, officials at Fujairah refused to comment on Ribeiro’s claims, saying they have not heard anything officially.
Follow our sports coverage on Twitter @SprtNationalUAE