The Indian Premier League has been the melting pot of the finest cricketing talent in the world for many years, earning limited overs specialists fabulous wealth.
But one bunch of players have missed out on the IPL experience for well over a decade, and for non-cricketing reasons. Pakistan cricketers have not been a part of the IPL playing team since the inaugural edition, even though legends such as Wasim Akram have been associated with the league in a coaching capacity.
Political tensions between the two nations meant Pakistan players have not featured in the tournament from 2009 onwards.
It is safe to assume T20 mega stars like Shaheen Afridi, Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan would have attracted huge bids in the player auction had they been part of the proceedings, especially since they helped hand India a heavy defeat in the T20 World Cup in the UAE last year.
For now, we can only look back to some of the star Pakistan players who played in the inaugural edition of the IPL. In 2008, Pakistan left-arm pacer Sohail Tanvir turned out to be the most valuable player as he finished as the highest wicket-taker and hit the winning run off the final ball of the tournament as Rajasthan Royals defeated Chennai Super Kings to lift the title.
Also, Tanvir's superb figures of 6-14 against Chennai remained the best bowling effort in the IPL until 2019 when it was bettered by Mumbai Indians' Alzarri Joseph, who took 6-12 against Sunrisers Hyderabad.
Below is the entire list of Pakistan players who have featured in the IPL.
Pakistan players who have played in the IPL:
1. Shoaib Akhtar - Kolkata Knight Riders
2. Umar Gul - Kolkata Knight Riders
3. Salman Butt - Kolkata Knight Riders
4. Mohammad Hafeez - Kolkata Knight Riders
5. Shoaib Malik - Delhi Daredevils
6. Mohammad Asif - Delhi Daredevils
7. Sohail Tanvir - Rajasthan Royals
8. Kamran Akmal - Rajasthan Royals
9. Younis Khan - Rajasthan Royals
10. Misbah ul Haq - Royal Challengers Bangalore
11. Shahid Afridi - Deccan Chargers
12. Azhar Mahmood - Kolkata Knight Riders and Kings XI Punjab