Abu Dhabi, UAEMonday 23 November 2020

Raheem Sterling nets two for Manchester City in comfortable win at Burnley in League Cup

Summer signing Torres also claims his first goal for Guardiola's side

Raheem Sterling scores his second goal against Burnley during Manchester City's League Cup fourth-round victory. EPA
Raheem Sterling scores his second goal against Burnley during Manchester City's League Cup fourth-round victory. EPA

Raheem Sterling struck twice as title holders Manchester City eased into the quarter-finals of Carabao Cup with a comfortable 3-0 win at Burnley.

Summer signing Ferran Torres also claimed his first goal for the club as City, bidding for a fourth successive triumph in the competition, made light work of the Clarets at Turf Moor.

Victory would have been even more emphatic for a strong-looking City side were it not for a fine performance by Clarets second-choice goalkeeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell.

It has been a tough start to the campaign for Burnley but the Northern Irishman's display added to the team's generally high work rate, and the return from injury of James Tarkowski and Ashley Barnes ensured there were positives for Sean Dyche.

Yet it was City's night. Given his team's recent injury problems, manager Pep Guardiola might have picked a less experienced side.

But after Sunday's 5-2 hammering at the hands of Leicester, there was presumably a desire to deliver a strong performance.

Again there was no recognised centre forward with the continued absence of Sergio Aguero and Gabriel Jesus, but Sterling and Kevin De Bruyne were in tandem.

Riyad Mahrez and Torres made up a strong attack but Guardiola did find room to introduce some young blood with the debut of midfielder Cole Palmer, 18.

City started brightly but were frustrated a number of times by Farrell-Peacock.

He produced good saves to deny Sterling twice in the early stages and also kept out chance by Cole Palmer. Rodri also drove wide and Torres shot over.

Burnley had fewer openings but Matej Vydra shot wide and Charlie Taylor and Dwight McNeil had penalty appeals turned down after challenges in the area.

Sterling finally made the breakthrough he and City deserved 10 minutes before the interval.

Benjamin Mendy whipped in a dangerous ball from the left and this time Sterling gave Peacock-Farrell no chance with a powerful first-time strike on the turn.

City could have had more before the break as Peacock-Farrell pushed away a curling effort from Sterling and Torres clipped the woodwork as he slid in at the back post.

But they did not have to wait much longer as Sterling doubled his tally on 49 minutes, finishing off a good move involving De Bruyne and Torres from close range.

Burnley did not give up and substitute Chris Wood had a chance before Barnes shot narrowly over after a good move.

City put the result beyond doubt on 65 minutes, with an emphatic finish from Torres.

Sterling failed to control a Mahrez pass but the ball ran through for Torres and the former Valencia winger raced through to slam past Peacock-Farrell.

Sterling could have had a hat-trick soon after but was again denied by the Burnley keeper, who saved with his feet in a one-on-one situation.

Updated: October 1, 2020 02:06 AM

Editor's Picks
Sign up to our daily email