Olivier Giroud set to stay at Chelsea for another season

French striker to sign contract extension, as Blues announce they have decided against imposing a pay cut on their first-team squad

Powered by automated translation

Chelsea are set to trigger the option to extend France striker Olivier Giroud's contract by a year until June 2021.

The 33-year-old, who was out of contract and available for nothing in the summer, had been linked with a move to Italian side Inter Milan.

But with the season in limbo due to the coronavirus shutdown, leaving clubs and players unsure of how the transfer market will be affected, Giroud has decided to stay at Stamford Bridge for another season.

The Frenchman was out of favour early in the campaign and looked set set for the exit, but an injury to fellow striker Tammy Abraham saw him return to the side, scoring twice in four games.

Giroud, who has scored 39 times in 97 appearances for France, moved across London from Arsenal to Chelsea in January 2018 for £18 million (Dh81.7m).

Chelsea, meanwhile, have decided against imposing a pay cut on their first-team squad, instead requesting the players continue their support for charities during the coronavirus pandemic.

The Blues have been in negotiations with their players about a salary reduction, reportedly around 10 per cent, in an effort to save money during the current crisis.

That is lower than the Premier League's suggestion of 30 per cent for all clubs but Chelsea have now decided to take a different approach.

Highlighting the #PlayersTogether initiative launched by Premier League players earlier this month which aims to raise and distribute funds for NHS charities, Chelsea have told their stars to focus their efforts on other causes.

A statement on the club website said: "Representatives of the Chelsea board have recently held extensive talks with the men's first team to discuss how they can contribute financially to the club during the coronavirus crisis.

"The objective of these talks has been to find a meaningful partnership around ensuring we preserve jobs for staff, compensate fans and participate in activities for good causes.

"We are grateful to the team for having played their role in assisting the club with community activities as well as all the charitable causes they have been supporting in their respective home countries and through the Players Together initiative supporting the NHS.

"At this time, the men's first team will not be contributing towards the club financially and instead the board have directed the team to focus their efforts on further supporting other charitable causes.

"As this crisis develops the club will continue to have conversations with the men's first team regarding financial contributions to the club's activities."

Chelsea also announced they will not be furloughing any of their full-time staff while casual workers and matchday employees are being compensated by the club through to June 30.

Newcastle and Norwich are the only two Premier League clubs using the Government's job retention scheme for some of their non-playing staff.