'All systems go' for Australian F1 Grand Prix, say organisers

Andrew Westacott rules out chances of Melbourne hosting back-to-back rounds of the Formula One championship

The F1 Australian Grand Prix was last held in Melbourne on March 17, 2019. The 2020 race was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic. Reuters
The F1 Australian Grand Prix was last held in Melbourne on March 17, 2019. The 2020 race was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic. Reuters

Australian Grand Prix chief Andrew Westacott said he was "confident" November's race would go ahead but poured cold water on the idea that Melbourne could host back-to-back rounds of the Formula One championship.

The 2020 edition of the Australian Grand Prix was cancelled at the last minute as the Covid-19 pandemic took a hold and ground almost all of sport to a halt.

Traditionally the opening race on the F1 calendar, the 2021 race has been moved to November as Australia's borders remain effectively closed.

The government said last week that they could remain so until the middle of next year, but Westacott said he was in constant discussion with heath officials to ensure the race at Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit goes ahead.

"We're all systems go for November 21 for the Formula One event," the chief executive of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation told ABC TV on Monday.

"We're working very, very closely in concert with the Victorian government on every aspect of the Covid-safe plans ...

"As you can imagine, it's something very, very complex, it's very, very much a work-in-progress, and we're working with the Victorian government ... on every one of the details right now."

The one major international sporting event to take place in Melbourne since the start of the pandemic was the Australian Open tennis championships in February.

That was only possible after all players and support staff coming from outside Australia had quarantined for 14 days - a logistical impossibility for the Formula One teams who are scheduled to race in Brazil on November 7.

"We're going to finalise all those details over the next four to five months," Westacott added in an interview on Melbourne's 3AW radio. "None of it is finalised, it's been worked through at the moment."

With the health situation in Brazil threatening that race, Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo last month suggested the teams might head straight to Australia for two rounds of the championship.

Westacott thought that highly unlikely.

"I think the people in Brazil are very, very deadset on hosting their grand prix two weeks earlier than us," he added.

"We want to concentrate on delivering one GP here in Melbourne on November 21 ... Our job is to deliver it very successfully."

Published: May 17, 2021 01:39 PM

SHARE

Editor's Picks
NEWSLETTERS
Sign up to:

* Please select one