Bryson DeChambeau and Dustin Johnson commit to PGA Tour over proposed new league

American duo had been among prominent names reportedly connected to Super Golf League

Bryson DeChambeau during a practice round prior to the Saudi International at Royal Greens Golf & Country Club on February 02, 2022 in Al Murooj, Saudi Arabia. Getty Images
Beta V.1.0 - Powered by automated translation

Bryson DeChambeau and Dustin Johnson, two of the leading players linked to a proposed breakaway golf league, have reaffirmed their commitment to the PGA Tour.

The American duo, both major champions, have been among the most prominent names associated with the Super Golf League, the potential new golf circuit backed by Saudi Arabia. Earlier this month, the UK's Daily Mail reported that DeChambeau had been offered a nine-figure deal to join the league, although the world No 12 later said the report was inaccurate.

Any players who join the new league could face a ban from the PGA Tour, the DP World Tour and subsequently the Ryder Cup.

On Sunday night, DeChambeau said on social media: “While there has been a lot of speculation surrounding my support for another tour, I want to make it very clear that as long as the best players in the world are playing the PGA Tour, so will I."

The 2020 US Open champion, currently recovering from injury, added: “As of now, I am focused on getting myself healthy and competing again soon. I appreciate all the support.”

DeChambeau’s post followed a similar statement from Johnson earlier on Sunday evening. The former world No 1, a two-time major winner, seemed to confirm at this month’s Saudi International that he had received an offer to join the new league. Johnson, the current world No 6, has appeared in all four editions of the Saudi International since its introduction to the golf calendar in 2018, winning twice.

In a statement via the PGA Tour, Johnson said: “Over the past several months, there has been a great deal of speculation about an alternative tour; much of which seems to have included me and my future in professional golf. I feel it is now time to put such speculation to rest.

“I am fully committed to the PGA Tour. I am grateful for the opportunity to play on the best tour in the world and for all it has provided me and my family. While there will always be areas where our tour can improve and evolve, I am thankful for our leadership and the many sponsors who make the PGA Tour golf’s premier tour.”

Originally a European Tour event, the Saudi International has moved this year to become the flagship tournament of the revamped Asian Tour. The circuit received a $300 million investment from Liv Golf Investments, a company fronted by two-time major champion Greg Norman and backed by the Saudi Public Investment Fund.

Updated: February 21, 2022, 8:50 AM