Samsung Galaxy Note 7: UAE exchange programme announced after huge recall
Samsung has announced an exchange programme for owners of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone in the UAE, a week into a massive recall affecting up to 2.5 million handsets worldwide.
The Korean smartphone maker last week launched a global recall of its flagship 5.7-inch smartphone after faulty batteries led to about 35 handsets catching fire or exploding while charging.
Samsung said on Thursday that it would voluntarily exchange old Note 7 devices submitted at Samsung outlets for newer, certified phones at no extra charge. The exchange programme will run until the end of December. Loan devices will be provided for no extra charge in case of stock shortages.
“Samsung is taking a proactive approach to address customer needs around the Galaxy Note 7,” said Ismail Yoon, the president of Samsung Gulf Electronics.
“We are encouraging customers to replace their Galaxy Note 7 by taking advantage of our product replacement programme. The safety and satisfaction of our customers is Samsung’s top priority.”
The recall of the Galaxy Note 7, which has received overwhelmingly positive reviews, comes at an awkward time for Samsung, coinciding with Wednesday’s high-profile iPhone 7 launch by its arch-rival Apple.
The United States Federal Aviation Authority is reported to be considering banning the use of the smartphone on US flights.
The Australian airline Qantas told its customers on Thursday not to use the handsets or to charge them on its aircraft.
Follow The National’s Business section on Twitter
Published: September 8, 2016 04:00 AM