Ariel Castro, who held 3 women captive for a decade, found dead in prison cell
COLUMBUS, Ohio // The Cleveland man serving a life sentence for kidnapping three women and raping them in his home for a decade hanged himself in his prison cell, officials said yesterday, in another startling twist in the case that horrified and transfixed the city.
Ariel Castro, 53, was found hanging at 9.20pm on Tuesday at the Ohio state prison in Orient, said JoEllen Smith, a spokeswoman for the prisons system. Prison medical staff performed CPR before Castro was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Castro had been in protective custody because of the notoriety of his case, meaning he was checked every 30 minutes, but was not on suicide watch, which entails constant supervision, Ms Smith said.
An autopsy showed the death was suicide by hanging.
In Castro’s old Cleveland neighbourhood, Jessica Burchett, 19, said his death had short-circuited the life sentence called for in his plea bargain.
“It does give a little bit of closure to the families and people that got affected by what he did, but at the same time he deserved to be in there for his life because of what he did to those girls,” she said.
Elsie Cintron, who lived up the street from Castro, said the suicide left her with mixed feelings.
“He took the coward’s way out,” Ms Cintron said. “We’re sad to hear that he’s dead, but at the same time, we’re happy he’s gone, and now we know he can’t ask for an appeal or try for one if he’s acting like he’s crazy.”
No one answered the door yesterday at the home of Castro’s mother and brother.
The three women – Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight – disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. They were rescued from Castro’s home on May 6 when Ms Berry broke out part of screen door and yelled to neighbours for help.
Elation over the women’s rescue soon turned to shock as details emerged about their captivity. Castro fathered a child with Ms Berry while she was being held. The girl was 6 when she was freed.
Investigators also said the women were bound with chains, repeatedly raped and deprived of food and bathroom facilities. Ms Knight told investigators she was beaten and starved to force her to miscarry over and over.
Castro was sentenced on August 1 to life in prison plus 1,000 years after he pleaded to 937 counts, including kidnapping and rape, in a deal to avoid the death penalty. At his sentencing, he told the judge: “I’m not a monster. I’m sick.”
At the home of Ms Berry’s sister, a woman who did not identify herself said from the porch yesterday there would be no comment. An officer in a passing patrol car kept watch on the street.
Wearing their familiar red berets, members of the Guardian Angels volunteer civilian patrol group stationed themselves outside Ms DeJesus’ house and said her family didn’t want to be bothered as the community absorbed the news.
Cleveland mayor Frank Jackson said: “I ask the community to continue to respect the privacy of the survivors so that they can move forward with their lives.”
Castro was watched closely in the Cuyahoga County Jail in the several weeks after his arrest and before his guilty plea, with logs noting his activity every 10 minutes. He was taken off the suicide watch in June after authorities determined he was not a suicide risk.
Castro’s attorneys tried unsuccessfully to have a psychological examination of Castro done at the jail before he was turned over to state authorities following his guilty plea, his attorney, Jaye Schlachet, said.
In an interview last month, Mr Schlachet and the lawyer Craig Weintraub said their client clearly fit the profile of sociopathic disorder and that they hoped researchers would study him for clues that could be used to stop other predators.
Published: September 4, 2013 04:00 AM