New Zealand’s Dunedin Airport closed after ‘suspicious package’ found

Specialist teams were deployed to determine the nature of the package

DUNEDIN, NEW ZEALAND - MARCH 16:  Police look on as locals lay flowers and condolences at the Huda Mosque in tribute to those killed and injured at the Al Huda Mosque  on March 16, 2019 in Dunedin. At least 49 people are confirmed dead, with more than 40 people injured following attacks on two mosques in Christchurch on Friday afternoon. 41 of the victims were killed at Al Noor mosque on Deans Avenue and seven died at Linwood mosque. Another victim died later in Christchurch hospital. Three people are in custody over the mass shootings. One man has been charged with murder.  (Photo by Dianne Manson/Getty Images)
Powered by automated translation

New Zealand police closed Dunedin Airport late on Sunday after a suspicious device was reported on the airfield as the country remains on high alert after the worst mass shooting in its history.

"Dunedin Airport is currently closed" a statement said. "Police are at the scene and specialist teams have been deployed to determine the nature of the package."

New Zealand is in a state of shock after a gunman, who is believed to have lived in Dunedin, killed 50 people in two mosques filled with worshippers.

An Air New Zealand staff member on the scene, who was not authorised to speak to the press, told Agence France-Presse the terminal building had not been evacuated.

Details of the incident remained unclear but New Zealand media outlets reported that the device was discovered in an out building at the airport.

Only a handful of flights were due to arrive at the airport in the south-eastern city, as the scare came in late evening. Staff remaining at the airport were sent home.

According to flight tracker Flightaware, Air New Zealand flight 691 from Wellington had been circling over the city for almost an hour before being forced to return to its origin.

The New Zealand Transport Agency reported State Highway 86, the main road leading to the airport, had been closed.