Israeli tank, aircraft hit Gaza after rocket fire

The Israeli army says it holds Hamas responsible for all attacks originating from the territory under its control

Palestinian press photographers walk amidst tear gas smoke during clashes with Israeli forces on December 11, 2017 near the border fence with Israel, east of Gaza City.
Protests flare in the Middle East and elsewhere over US President Donald Trump's declaration of Jerusalem as Israel's capital, a move that drew global condemnation and sparked days of unrest in the Palestinian territories. / AFP PHOTO / MOHAMMED ABED

The Israeli military said it hit the Gaza Strip's Hamas rulers with tank and aircraft fire after Palestinians launched rockets at southern Israel on Monday.

At least two rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip, with the second intercepted by Israel's Iron Dome missile defence system, the army said.

After the first rocket was fired, the army issued a statement saying that in response, "a tank and the Israel Air Force targeted Hamas military posts in the southern Gaza Strip".

It did not say where the first rocket fell or report any casualties. There was also no word on injuries on the Gaza side of the border.

After the interception of the second rocket, Israeli tank and aircraft fire targeted Hamas military posts in the north of the Gaza Strip, the army said.

There were no immediate reports of injuries.


Read more

Two Palestinians killed in protests over Trump's Jerusalem move


It was the first rocket fire since Friday evening, which triggered repeated Israeli strikes throughout that night and into Saturday in which two members of Hamas's military wing were killed.

The Israeli army says it holds Hamas responsible for all attacks originating from the territory under its control.

The latest wave of rocket fire followed US president Donald Trump's statement on Wednesday recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

On Thursday, Israel also targeted Gaza sites with air strikes and tank fire after what a military statement described as "a projectile" was fired into southern Israel.

Palestinian security officials in the enclave said the strikes hit two Hamas posts.

The Israeli military said the targets were "two terror posts", without identifying them.