Saudi Prosecutors refers detainees to trial
The case drew criticism from Canada that caused Riyadh to downgrade ties with Otowa
Prosecutors in Saudi Arabia have referred the case against several people accused of undermining the state to trial, but insisted the group had “enjoyed all rights preserved by the laws in the kingdom”.
An official statement referred to five men and four women whose arrest was announced on June 2, 2018.
In the statement on Friday, prosecutors said the group "aimed to undermine the kingdom's security, stability and national unity."
Saudi Deputy Public Prosecutor Shalaan bin Rajih Al Shalaan told Asharq al-Awsat newspaper said “the detainees enjoy all their rights, including communications and visits”.
He also denied reports by rights groups that the activists had been tortured saying they had all been treated in accordance with the law.
Mr Al Shalaan said the group faced charges of cooperating with those "hostile to the kingdom" and for allegedly recruiting "persons in a sensitive government entity to obtain information and official documents." He did not elaborate on the accusations.
Updated: March 1, 2020 03:38 PM