Dozens of Houthi fighters killed in coalition advance
The offensive south of the port city of Hodeidah follows the start of a major operation earlier this month
The Arab coalition in Yemen killed dozens of Houthi fighters during a major advance along several fronts south of the port city of Hodeidah on the Red Sea, the Wam news agency reported Friday.
The coalition penetrated the front lines of the rebels creating panic leading to the capture of an unspecified number of Houthi fighters and the killing of one of its commanders, Wam reported.
It said that fleeing Houthi fighters were selling weapons to secure their escape following a series of victories for the coalition.
The offensive followed the start of a major military operation in the region earlier this month. More than 70 Houthi fighters were killed in the Hodeidah province on Thursday as government troops backed by the UAE Armed Forces cut off a rebel supply line.
Early Friday, jets from the Arab Coalition supporting the government launched air strikes at Houthi reinforcements heading towards the strategically important Zabeed district, a military source in Al Tuhaiyta told The National. The strikes destroyed several Houthi military vehicles trying to approach Zabeed through the desert, the source said
Coalition troops seized the main rebel supply route between Al Tuhaiyta and Zabeed districts. Troops pressed on to the two districts which were which are expected to be liberated in the coming days, said Aseel Al Sakladi, media officer in the Yemen army's Al Amalikah Brigade.
Published: May 26, 2018 12:32 AM