Mental health treatment can be expensive, costing up to Dh1,000 per session. If you are not covered by insurance and require help with depression, there are a number of support groups run by professionals and past patients.
• The Out of Blues community runs weekly coffee mornings for its members in Dubai. Details can be found on the group’s Facebook page.
• Abu Dhabi Major Depression and Anxiety Support Group holds events for their members on alternate Thursday evenings. The group can be found on the social web host meetup.com.
• The Maudsley Hospital Clinic in Abu Dhabi has two facilities, the Child and Adolescent Mental Heath Services and another for Adult Mental Health.
• Facebook community In Your Shoes runs a support group for people suffering from depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorders.
• If you are unsure of seeking medical help, enritsch.com gives a free session to chat with a psychiatrist about issues to decide if you need to take further action.
• For a stress buster, there are laughter yoga classes in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
■ Alternative ways to find affordable therapy
■ Spotting the signs of depression