Transfer talk: Inter put in a bid for Dirk Kuyt
Sir Alex Ferguson has told Paris St Germain they have no chance of signing Dimitar Berbatov. In the immediate aftermath of the striker's omission from United's Champions League final squad, it was felt Berbatov would leave Old Trafford this summer.PSG made their interest known and, backed their new Qatar-based owners, felt there was a good chance of luring Berbatov to France. "I had Ferguson on the phone, but he said he was counting on Berbatov and he was not for sale," said Leonardo, PSG's director of football, after his side's 2-1 win over Valenciennes on Sunday. Meanwhile, United have confirmed the logistics company DHL as their first training kit sponsor. United have not put a figure on the four-year deal, but it is understood they will collect £40 million (Dh240m) over the length of the contract.
Dirk Kuyt's agent claims that Inter Milan have made an offer for the Liverpool forward. The Italian side are in the market for a striker, with Samuel Eto'o poised to join the Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala, who will make him the world's best paid footballer. Inter tried to sign Kuyt, the Dutch international, 31, last summer when Rafa Benitez was in charge at Liverpool. Kuyt's representative, Rob Jansen, told RTV West: "Inter Milan have made an attractive offer for Dirk and he has to think about it. However, the two clubs have yet to agree a deal". Kuyt is under contract at Anfield until 2013.
Vladimir Weiss, the Slovakia winger, is moving to Dynamo Kiev from Manchester City, the Ukrainian club said. "Yes, Vladimir Weiss has passed a medical and soon we will include him in our squad," Yuri Semin, the Dynamo head coach, told local television. Weiss, 21, joined City from Inter Bratislava at the age of 16. He struggled to break into the City team and was loaned to Bolton Wanderers. He then moved to Glasgow Rangers on loan last year, scoring five goals in 23 games for the Scottish club.
Mick McCarthy, the Wolves manager, has made it clear he will be turning down any bids for Kevin Doyle, suggesting it would "rip the heart out" of the club to lose such a player at this early stage of the season. Doyle has been linked with a move away from Molineux as the transfer window draws to a close. McCarthy has no intention of entertaining offers for the Republic of Ireland striker. "I think the end of the transfer window should coincide with the start of the season," McCarthy said. "Somebody like [summer signing] Roger Johnson has come here with the belief that we were keeping all our players. I don't think it's going to happen [a bid for Doyle], but I would be telling them to get lost." Juventus, Arsenal and Liverpool are reported to be interested in Doyle.
Steve Bruce, the Sunderland manager, will attempt to put the misery of another derby disaster to one side as he targets winning the Carling Cup. The 50-year-old will take his team to Championship side Brighton tonight in the second round hoping to launch a run to the final, a target since he was appointed at the Stadium of Light in 2009. Bruce said: "I have said since I walked through the door here, can we win a cup? We are capable of winning four or five games. Brighton have done extremely well, so we will treat them with the respect they deserve and hopefully win the cup tie." Every Premier League side, except those in European competition, enters the Carling Cup at this stage.
Published: August 23, 2011 04:00 AM