Rangers not concerned about Swedish reception
Ally McCoist, the Glasgow Rangers manager has no concerns about the safety of his players ahead of their Champions League qualifier against Malmo.
The Swedish side's home league match against Djurgardens was abandoned after just 11 minutes on Saturday after firecrackers were thrown on to the pitch - the second time this season that a match has been halted at the Swedbank Stadion.
Rangers head into tonight's second leg at the same venue hoping to come through the tie despite trailing to a Daniel Larsson strike at Ibrox last week.
McCoist said his side are focused only on the game and remaining in the competition, and he does not fear a repeat of the scenes at the weekend.
He said: "The players are looking forward to the game. These things happen in football, and it goes without saying that we could do without them, but our players will be fine, they are totally focused on the game. I've got no concerns at all about anything like that."
McCoist admits he has no idea how the disruption to Malmo's preparations will impact on the clash.
"It could work for or against us," he said. "You could say they have had a bit of a rest. I looked at the team and the coach maybe rested one or two players and then it ended up with the vast majority of them getting a rest with the game lasting 11 minutes. You could look at it that way, or you could look at it that they could have done with a match."
Rangers' hopes of progression may be in the balance but McCoist hopes the fact they know exactly what they have to do will work in their favour.
The manager hopes Nikica Jelavic and Steven Naismith can have a big part to play after they both netted in Saturday's Scottish Premier League win at St Johnstone.
"Strangely, it might be to our benefit that we know we need to score," McCoist said. "The one definite is the fact we need to score. If we don't do that, we're out. It was encouraging that Jelavic and Naismith were both on the scoresheet on Saturday.
Published: August 3, 2011 04:00 AM