Sebastian Tagliabue signs two-year deal with Al Nasr
Argentine-born striker's seven-year stint with Al Wahda to end on June 30
Al Wahda striker Sebastian Tagliabue will soon have a new home after agreeing to a two-year deal with Arabian Gulf League rivals Al Nasr.
Nasr made the announcement on social media on Friday, welcoming the Argentine-born forward, 35, into their fold. The second-highest goalscorer in the history of the UAE top flight, Tagliabue will join Nasr once his contract at Wahda ends on June 30.
Speaking on Friday to The National, he said: "I'm so, so happy. From the very beginning, Al Nasr demonstrated they were very interested in me. My ambition is to help them win the league title."
Tagliabue, who earlier this month spoke of disappointment at ending “seven amazing years” with Wahda, thanked the Abu Dhabi side for their time together. He paid special tribute to Sheikh Diab bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the club president, for giving him an "unbelievable opportunity to play for this amazing club".
"Al Wahda will always be in my heart," Tagliabue said. "I don't say 'bye-bye', but 'see you soon'. I would never close the door on Al Wahda."
Tagliabue joined Wahda in 2013, going on to score 152 goals in 157 league appearances. Currently, he is 13 goals from the league's all-time record. In January, he was granted UAE citizenship and said it would be an honour to represent the national team.
Tagliabue became a naturalised UAE citizen following a change in regulations triggered by a Presidential decree issued by Sheikh Khalifa in November 2017.
Published: May 15, 2020 04:12 PM