Abu Dhabi, UAETuesday 24 November 2020

Borussia Dortmund insist there has been 'no contact' from Manchester United for Jadon Sancho

Bundesliga club still awaiting offer for England winger, as United flop Sanchez completes move to Inter

Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke says there has been "no contact" from Manchester United for England winger Jadon Sancho.

United have long been linked with the 20-year-old who scored 17 goals and created the same number of assists last season as Dortmund finished second behind champions Bayern Munich.

Sancho is valued at around €120 million (Dh519m) and Dortmund have said they have yet to receive an offer for their talented forward who joined in 2017 from Manchester City's academy.

"So far, there has been no contact between Borussia Dortmund and Manchester United in terms of Sancho," chief executive Watzke told Munich-based newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung.

"Not even indirectly or through so-called middlemen.

"There has never been an offer for Jadon, but there is a certain sum from us as to what should at least be paid," Watzke added, referring to the €120m price tag.

"I don't expect there to be any problems. Jadon has accepted the situation and is a pleasant, fair bloke."

Dortmund's director of sport Michael Zorc says he plans to have Sancho in the squad for the new German league season, which kicks off on September 18.

"I expect Jadon to go to training camp on Monday [at Bad Ragaz, Switzerland] and play with us for the coming season," added Zorc.

However, the transfer window in both Germany and England does not close until October 5, a date extended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Dortmund need to handle Sancho carefully as both former stars Ousmane Dembele and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang forced transfers to Barcelona in 2017 and Arsenal in 2018, respectively, by effectively going on strike.

Meanwhile, Serie A side Inter Milan completed the permanent signing of United flop Alexis Sanchez on a free transfer.

The 31-year-old Chile international didn't live up to expectations after joining from Arsenal in January 2018.

Having scored just five goals in 45 appearances, Sanchez was allowed to spend the 2019-20 season on loan at Inter Milan as United covered a portion of his wages.

Sanchez did enough in Serie A to secure a permanent move to Inter on a contract through June 2023.

Updated: August 6, 2020 05:23 PM

Editor's Picks
THE DAILY NEWSLETTER
Sign up to our daily email