Third ODI against Ireland suspended with UAE team in quarantine
No new cases of Covid-19 reported in either camp
The Emirates Cricket Board has suspended Thursday's one-day international against Ireland as the team continues to quarantine following several positive cases of Covid-19.
In a statement issued late Wednesday, the ECB said that, "although no new positive cases have been returned the decision, supported by Cricket Ireland, was made due to the UAE team remaining in quarantine as directed by authorities on January 11."
The decision adds further doubt as to whether the four-match ODI series against Ireland in Abu Dhabi will go ahead as planned.
It was confirmed late on Monday night that the second one-day international between the two sides in Abu Dhabi had been suspended for a second time, after a fourth positive Covid case in the home team.
That fixture had already been delayed by two days after Alishan Sharafu had become the third UAE player to test positive for Covid-19. The identity of the fourth case has not been revealed.
Before a ball had been bowled in the series, Chirag Suri and Aryan Lakra had been put into isolation after testing positive for coronavirus.
Although Suri and Lakra's cases were revealed hours before Friday's first match, the game still went ahead, with the UAE beating their opponents by six wickets at Zayed Cricket Stadium.
As per the safety requirements for this series, all players are tested two days before each game. Ireland have not reported any positive tests.
"Discussions continue regarding rescheduling matches," said the UAE statement.
Following the UAE series, Ireland will remain in the country to play three ODIs against Afghanistan with the first of those scheduled for January 21.
Updated: January 13, 2021 09:43 PM