Buffalo's leading rusher Jackson says he gets no respect from team

Fred Jackson has led the Buffalo Bills in rushing the past two seasons but says team does not treat him like he was their leading rusher.

Having led the Buffalo Bills in rushing for the last two seasons, Fred Jackson would like to be treated with a little more respect.

Jackson said he feels under-appreciated and uncertain of where he stands after CJ Spiller, the second-year running back, started and got most of the playing time in the Bills' last pre-season game.

"I feel like a No 1 back," Jackson said. "I feel like I should be treated like one."

This is not the first time Jackson said he has felt this way.

He led the Bills with 1,062 yards in 2009, only to have the team select Spiller with the ninth pick in the draft the following spring. Last year, Jackson opened the season third on the team's depth chart behind Spiller and Marshawn Lynch.

After Spiller disappointed and Lynch was traded to Seattle, Jackson regained his starting job to once again lead the Bills with 927 yards and five touchdowns.

"I've got to keep fighting for what I feel like is my job," said Jackson, who is also unhappy with his contract.

Jackson, who is entering the third year of a four-year contract worth about $7.5 million (Dh 27.5), said he is underpaid.

The one thing Jackson will not change is how he plays.

"I'll continue to show up on the field," he said, "and make plays when I get that opportunity."

 

AROUND THE LEAGUE

Thomas will miss season with injury

Terrell Thomas, the New York Giants cornerback, will miss the season after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in a pre-season game against the Chicago Bears. Thomas, who was the team's leading tackler last season, hurt his right knee with 22 seconds remaining in the first half in a collision with teammate Jason Pierre-Paul as they were rushing the passer. He is the fourth Giants cornerback to get hurt this pre-season and will probably be replaced by Aaron Ross or Corey Webster, the team said.

Shanahan mum on starting quarterback

Mike Shanahan, the Washington Redskins coach, said he will not announce a starting quarterback until "right before" the season opener against the Giants on September 11. Shanahan said John Beck and Rex Grossman are "very close" and that he would feel comfortable going into the season with either one. He declined to say who would start this week's pre-season game at Baltimore.

Raiders decide Pryor worth a try

Oakland selected the scandal-hit former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor in the third round of the supplemental draft. Pryor will not be able to join the Raiders until he serves a five-week suspension, matching the ban he would have served had he returned to Ohio State his senior year. Pryor is unlikely to see action this season behind Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller and Trent Edwards.

Browns agree on tackle's extension

Cleveland have reached agreement with the Pro Bowl offensive tackle Joe Thomas on a seven-year contract extension. Peter Schaffer, his agent, said that the sides had been working on the deal for some time and that Thomas will have long-term security with the Browns. According to ESPN.com, the package totals US$84 million (DH308.5m) with $44m of that money guaranteed.

Published: August 24, 2011 04:00 AM

SHARE

Editor's Picks
NEWSLETTERS
Sign up to:

* Please select one