Tehran’s military prosecutor has indicted 10 officials implicated in last year's shooting down of a Ukrainian passenger jet that killed all 176 on board, Iranian media reported.
Military Prosecutor Gholamabbas Torki confirmed that charges on Tuesday as he handed over to his replacement, Nasser Seraj.
The semi-official Isna news agency and the Iranian judiciary’s Mizan media network both reported the remarks but did not elaborate.
Iran, in the face of mounting evidence, eventually acknowledged that its forces mistakenly shot down the Ukrainian civilian jet with two surface-to-air missiles in January last year.
In preliminary reports on the disaster, the Iranian authorities blamed an air-defence operator whom they said mistook the Boeing 737-800 for an American cruise missile.
The incident happened the same day that Iran launched a ballistic missile attack on US troops in Iraq in retaliation for an American drone strike that killed Iranian commander, Qassem Suleimani.
In December last year, before the anniversary of the crash, President Hassan Rouhani's Cabinet said that Iran would pay $150,000 in compensation to the families of each of the 176 victims.
News of the compensation plan came days after the final report of the investigation into the incident.
Iran’s Civil Aviation Organisation blamed a misaligned radar and an error by an air-defence operator.
The Ukrainian and Canadian authorities questioned the veracity of the report, even suggesting that the shooting down of the jetliner may have been intentional.
Iran refused to send the planes' black boxes to France to be analysed. Instead, officials said they would buy the equipment to do so in Tehran.
After international pressure, Iran handed the recorders over to French investigators in July last year.