With travel restricted during the coronavirus pandemic, many of us have taken to daydreaming about the places we'll go, the adventures we'll have and the things we'll see when we can travel again.
Those with wanderlust are busy planning future trips, and more and more people seem to be using Airbnb's wishlist function to bookmark where they want to stay when restrictions are lifted.
Airbnb's top wishlisted properties span the world, from a bargain beach villa in Brazil to a bamboo house in Bali. The company used data from March to May, when most travellers were staying home, to come up with the results.
Topping the list as the most desired property is a luxury villa in the quiet north of Bali, which comes with breathtaking views and a private pool.
The list gives an insight into what travellers are craving: from an isolated villa in the forest to a remote cave house overlooking the ocean in Greece.
Scroll through the gallery above to see what the top 10 properties look like, or find them here:
- This luxury villa in the north of Bali, Indonesia.
- A stilted beach house in Santa Catarina, Brazil
- Hector cave house in Santorini, Greece
- An eco retreat in Bali's Selat
- This cosy cottage in Orondo, Washington State
- A treehouse in Balian Beach, Bali
- This luxury private pool house in Los Angeles, California
- A modern apartment in the remote wilds of Iceland's highlands
- Another cave house, this one overlooking the Aegean in Oia, Greece
- Dar Ahwach – a traditional Riad in Marrakech, Morocco
Travellers want nature-filled escapes and family celebrations
As well as a rise in the number of people creating wishlists, Airbnb noted a number of trends emerging from keyword searches. People are craving nature, and rural cabins are now the fastest growing type of accommodation to be added to people's wishlists.
Over the last 60 days, keyword searches on the platform show that travellers are on the hunt for isolation, sun-filled stays and places to commemorate special occasions.
The top keywords people are searching for on Airbnb are:
- Summer 2020
This suggests that people are keen to book something special for pre-arranged family celebrations that might have had to be re-worked or cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.