China reshuffled its top officials in Hubei, as the number of new cases and deaths surged after the province at the centre of the coronavirus epidemic revised its method for counting infections.
Fatalities in the area climbed by 242, bringing China’s death toll to at least 1,355. The number of infections jumped by 14,840, sending the total number of cases in China toward 60,000.
Japan confirmed 44 more cases on a quarantined cruise ship, bringing the total of infections from the vessel to 218. Hong Kong extended the closure of schools until March 16.
In the UAE, an eighth case was confirmed a day after a female patient was discharged. Six others remain in a stable condition.
Here are the main developments:
- Coronavirus: disease officially named Covid-19
- Hundreds tested as a precaution against eight confirmed cases, says Emirati health minister
- Chinese residents returning to UAE should 'remain in home quarantine'
- UAE coronavirus victim makes 'full recovery'
- British scientists begin animal testing phase for new vaccine