Man with AIDS raped woman after following her home, court hears

The man tested positive for AIDS after police investigations into the alleged crime

A man accused of raping a woman and threatening to cut her throat was diagnosed with AIDS after his arrest, a court was told.

Dubai Criminal Court heard that the Emirati, 40, forced his way into her home to carry out the attack after following her home from a night club in Al Baraha, Dubai.

After his arrest, the defendant underwent medical examinations as part of the police investigation, testing positive for AIDS, Hepatitis C and syphilis.

The Moroccan woman, 24, turned down a lift from the defendant at 6am on May 13, instead opting to take a taxi to her home in Al Nahda, the court was told.

She called a friend on her way home but once she opened her apartment door, she noticed the man walking up behind her.

“He pushed me through the door, forcing it open. I fell down to the ground then stood up and ran while screaming,” the woman told the court.

She said the man kicked her, pulled her hair and raped her while threatening to cut her throat if she screamed.

“I was sobbing and begging him not to hurt me but he kept saying he would do what he wanted,” said the woman.

Her Syrian friend, 24, heard the noise over the phone and rushed over to her flat, pulling the man away from his friend after witnessing the attack taking place.

The court heard that the woman's friend stopped the man from fleeing the apartment.

“The defendant grabbed a vase, broke it and threatened my friend and I with it, so I picked up a fruit knife that was left on the dining table in self defence,” the woman said.

The woman ran to her bedroom while her friend locked the accused inside the apartment and called police. He kept guard until their arrival.

“I was with her on the phone when she was in the taxi and when she arrived home I heard her scream. I tried calling back but she didn’t answer so I rushed to her place,” said the friend.

The defendant denied a charge of rape at court.

“I swear to god I did nothing wrong and my health condition is not well,” said the accused in court, who applied for bail.

His bail application was rejected and the case was adjourned until September 23.

Updated: August 8, 2018 01:19 PM


Editor's Picks
Sign up to:

* Please select one