ABU DHABI // After more than 37,000 Emiratis took advantage of an early vote, the following two days leading up to Saturday’s FNC election will enter a period of silence.
Candidates, their representatives and the media have been urged to refrain from any form of campaigning during this period.
The spell of campaign silence will give voters time to decide on candidates without influence, said Tariq Lootah, undersecretary of the Ministry of State for FNC Affairs and chairman of the election management committee.
A total of 37,663 people, out of 224,279 eligible voters, voted early, the National Election Commission said. This is in addition to 1,389 voters who took part in the polls overseas earlier this month.
While commending candidates for observing election instructions, he said the NEC “observed some minor breaches that were dealt in accordance with the legal procedures stipulated under the executive instructions”.
“The NEC has followed in-depth the election campaign of all the candidates that highlighted the keen interest of UAE citizens to find appropriate solutions to issues of concern to society,” Mr Lootah said.
Dr Ahmed Mubarak Al Mazroui, secretary-general of the Executive Council of Abu Dhabi, said the turnout at voting centres was something to be proud of, and praised the NEC for its efforts.