UAE prosecutors accuse woman of butchering and cooking lover into machboos

Officials say the Moroccan allegedly served the man's remains in a dish to workers living nearby

June 2, 2010 / Abu Dhabi / (Rich-Joseph Facun / The National) An detail of the judge's gavel in the State Security Security Court room at the Federal Supreme Court building, photographed, Wednesday, June 2, 2010 in Abu Dhabi.
Powered by automated translation

A woman is accused of killing her lover then butchering and cooking his remains before serving them to workers, according to Al Ain Public Prosecution.

Police said the Moroccan woman was arrested on suspicion of killing her boyfriend of seven years after he told her he planned to marry another from their home country.

Officers would not reveal how she killed him but said she served his remains as machboos — a traditional Gulf dish of rice and meat similar to biryani — to some workers.

The crime was discovered after the man’s brother, an Ajman resident, reported his sibling was missing to Al Ain Police.

Police said the brother visited the couple’s home in Al Ain to ask if the accused knew of his sibling’s whereabouts.

He said she denied knowing where he was and claimed to have kicked him out of their home. The killing took place three months ago but only came to light in recent days.

On November 13, reports on the missing man surfaced on Moroccan media quoting his brother, who said police found a human tooth inside the woman’s blender.

After DNA tests confirmed the tooth belonged to the man, the woman was arrested.

During questioning, the woman, whose age was not disclosed by police, denied any involvement but then admitted to killing the man during a moment of 'insanity'. She told police she wanted revenge for being dumped after seven years of financially providing for him. After cutting up his body, she asked a friend to help her dispose of the remains.

The woman is said to have confessed that she used a blender to mince her former partner’s flesh then cooked it with machboos, before serving it to a group of Pakistani workers who lived nearby.

During questioning, the woman’s friend said she did not witness the crime, but said she did notice blood stains in the woman’s home.

Police and prosecutors said the woman would be brought to court after their investigation is complete.