Jon Jones targets Stipe Miocic and Brock Lesnar for step-up to UFC heavyweight

The American, regarded by many as the greatest UFC athlete of all time, vacated his light heavyweight title last month

File - In this Feb. 8, 2020, file photo, Jon Jones, right, kicks Dominick Reyes during a light heavyweight mixed martial arts bout at UFC 247 in Houston. The long-reigning UFC light heavyweight champion,  Jones says he is vacating his title and likely moving up to heavyweight. Jones made the declarations on Twitter on Monday, Aug. 17, 2020, although the UFC didn't immediately confirm them. (AP Photo/Michael Wyke, File)
Powered by automated translation

Jon Jones has laid out plans for his step-up to UFC heavyweight, with a clash against either current champion Stipe Miocic or former belt-holder and professional wrestling star Brock Lesnar on his radar.

The American, regarded by many as the greatest UFC athlete of all time, vacated his light heavyweight title last month to announce a move to heavyweight.

Jones, whose pro mixed martial arts record stands at 26-1, has been pretty active on social media since, and was no different early on Tuesday.

He called out Miocic, who has just come off a successful title defence in his trilogy match with Daniel Cormier at the recent UFC 252.

However, the American (20-3) is slated to next take on No 1 contender Francis Ngannou for a second time. The pair met in 2018, with Miocic prevailing by unanimous decision.

Lesnar, meanwhile, is a free agent having left the WWE.

Writing on Twitter, Jones said: "Stipe doesn't want to fight Francis again because the first fight really wasn't close. Looking at it from Stipe's point of view, fighting Francis again is definitely more of a lose situation than win.

“Stipe asked for a new challenge, why not fight the light heavyweight [Greatest of All Time]? Besides we're way closer in size. What's more exciting than that? By the time he heals up my body weight should be right where it needs to be. This fight lines up perfectly."

UFC president Dana White confirmed last month that Ngannou will get his rematch with Miocic. The Cameroon-born heavyweight has won his past four fights, all in emphatic fashion.

As for Lesnar, White has previously said he considered him retired. Now 43, Lesnar hasn’t competed in the octagon since 2016, although he did tease a comeback to the UFC two years ago before opting to re-sign for the WWE.