New contract gives Antonio Valencia four more years at Man Utd
Antonio Valencia has signed a new four-year deal which ties the Ecuador winger, 25, to the Premier League champions until the end of the 2014/15 season.
Valencia's progress last season was stalled by an ankle injury that sidelined him for five months, but he made a successful return to help United clinch the league title.
Competition for places has been increased by the signing of Ashley Young from Aston Villa, but Valencia said he was happy to extend his stay.
"I am delighted to stay at United," he said. "Since my first day … I have been happy here. I hope that I can continue to develop as a player."
Romelu Lukaku, the Anderlecht striker, would not be interested in going out on loan if he joined Chelsea this summer.
The 18 year old has been linked with a £20 million (Dh119.6m) move after being sounded out as a potential long-term replacement for Didier Drogba.
He would probably struggle to dislodge the Ivorian, Fernando Torres and Nicolas Anelka in the Chelsea pecking order in the immediate future, meaning he could join fellow recent Belgian recruit Thibaut Courtois in being farmed out on loan, after the goalkeeper last week joined Atletico Madrid.
Lukaku told Belgian television station VTM: "When I do leave, it will not be to be loaned out as Thibaut Courtois has been. I want to go to a club where I can develop further. It's not that I just want to be transferred to Chelsea."
Queens Park Rangers
Neil Warnock has revealed he held "positive" talks with Tony Fernandes, the prospective QPR owner, at the weekend. Fernandes, the owner of Formula One's Team Lotus, met the Rangers manager in Bergamo, Italy, on Saturday after watching the Premier League new boys win a pre-season tournament.
He has reportedly been in discussions with the club's co-owner Bernie Ecclestone and the F1 chief's business partner Flavio Briatore, about buying Ecclestone's 69 per cent stake.
Warnock told The Daily Mail: "Myself, Flavio and Tony all had a positive chat after the match on Saturday. We've already spoken about possible targets and he is a very positive chap."
Stuart Holden, the United States international, has returned to training after five months out with a knee injury. Holden missed June's Gold Cup after damaging his left knee playing against Manchester United for Bolton.
Holden began training again yesterday - his 26th birthday. Writing on Twitter, the midfielder said: "Best bday present 2 be kicking balls and running outside after 5 months out! Not long now!" Holden needed 26 stitches to close a gash near his knee in a challenge from Jonny Evans.
Swansea have agreed personal terms with the Newcastle United winger Wayne Routledge. The Welsh club had already agreed an undisclosed fee with the Magpies and the 26 year old will now undergo a medical today before signing a three-year contract. Routledge will be joined in Swansea today by Middlesbrough striker Leroy Lita, who will also have a medical after a deal worth £1.75m was reached last week.
Jack Wilshere is to undergo a scan on Tuesday which could determine whether he misses England's friendly with Holland next week. Arsene Wenger, the Arsenal manager last night revealed the initial prognosis was for Wilshere to be absent for a week.
Published: August 2, 2011 04:00 AM