Abu Dhabi's Yas Marina Circuit has hosted the F1 season finale since 2014. Chris Whiteoak / The National
Abu Dhabi's Yas Marina Circuit has hosted the F1 season finale since 2014. Chris Whiteoak / The National

F1 committed to finishing season in Abu Dhabi: 'Calendar is confirmed'


Formula One chief executive Stefano Domenicali says the plan remains to finish the 2026 season in Abu Dhabi.

Concerns had been raised about December's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix because of regional tension caused by the Iran war.

In March, F1 called off races in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, although the former has since been rescheduled for October 4 and will be staged in Malaysia.

Domenicali had previously suggested the 2026 season finale could be moved to Europe, with Imola touted as a potential venue, were it not possible to hold races in Qatar on November 29 and Abu Dhabi on December 6.

However, speaking to Formula One's official website at the Dutch Grand Prix in Zandvoort, the 61-year-old Italian insisted F1 was fully committed to finishing the season in the Middle East in line with the original schedule.

“The calendar is confirmed. There are still a few tickets to be sold in Abu Dhabi … and we stay focused on delivering the calendar we promised at the beginning of the year,” Domenicali said.

“The preparations are on course, there are still a few tickets in Abu Dhabi to be taken, and everything is progressing very, very well,” he added.

Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali arrives for the Formula 1 Dutch Grand Prix at the Zandvoort racetrack. EPA
Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali arrives for the Formula 1 Dutch Grand Prix at the Zandvoort racetrack. EPA

Saood Abdulaziz Al Hosani, undersecretary of the Department of Culture and Tourism Abu Dhabi, said hosting the race since 2009 has been a source of pride and that he looked forward to the event returning in December.

“Hosting Formula 1 since 2009 has been a testament to our ambition to bring the world together through exceptional experiences and major international events,” he said. “The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix creates meaningful opportunities for our tourism, hospitality and events sectors and we are proud to build on this long-standing partnership. We look forward to welcoming international F1 fans once again for the conclusion of a thrilling season.”

Saif Rashid Al Noaimi, CEO of organisers Ethara, said preparations at Yas Marina Circuit are progressing well. Andrea Bocelli, Zara Larsson, Lewis Capaldi and Imagine Dragons are among the musical acts confirmed for the annual concerts, with more artists expected to be revealed in the coming weeks.

“As promoter of the Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, our focus is firmly on delivering another outstanding season finale this December,” said Al Noaimi.

“Building on our recognition as Formula 1’s Promoter of the Year, we are working closely with Formula 1 and our partners across Abu Dhabi to deliver an exceptional experience for fans, teams, drivers, officials and partners. Preparations are progressing across every aspect of the event, and we look forward to welcoming the Formula 1 community back to Abu Dhabi.”

Ethara added that “ticket availability is now limited” and encouraged fans to head to abudhabigp.com to explore remaining options.

Updated: August 23, 2026, 12:01 PM