David Gray brings Hibernian’s 114-year Scottish Cup drought to a dramatic end

Not winners since 1902, Hibernian on Saturday edged Rangers in a wild Scottish Cup final that saw an added-time winner for Hibs and fans clashed on the pitch afterward.

Hibernian players celebrate at the end of the match after winning the Scottish Cup Final on Saturday. Russel Cheyne / Reuters / May 21, 2016
Powered by automated translation

Hibernian ended their 114-year wait for the Scottish Cup as David Gray’s dramatic stoppage time header handed them a 3-2 win over Rangers which was marred by ugly scenes at the end.

The Easter Road side had taken a third minute lead through Anthony Stokes but Rangers went into the break level following Kenny Miller’s 27th minute headed equaliser.

Andy Halliday fired Rangers in front for the first time in the 64th minute with a superb strike before Stokes headed Hibs level in the 80th minute.

The game appeared to be heading to extra time before captain Gray headed home to spark wild scenes amongst the Hibernian support, who flooded on to the pitch at full-time to celebrate.

Ugly scenes then followed as rival supporters clashed on the pitch with mounted police called in to separate them.

Rangers, who pipped Hibs to the Championship title, were handed a boost with the return of top-scorer Martyn Waghorn to the starting line-up following a lengthy injury lay-off.

Hibs manager Alan Stubbs left James Keating on the bench in favour of on-loan Celtic striker Stokes.

The Irish international soon repaid his manager’s faith in him as he fired home the opener.

Strike partner Jason Cummings played Stokes down the left wing and the striker raced at the retreating Rob Kiernan and James Tavernier in the Rangers rearguard before slotting an angled shot beyond Wes Foderingham.

Rangers, without a competitive game for three weeks, looked off the pace in the early exchanges as Hibs threatened to add another with Stokes, Cummings and John McGinn all coming close.

However, Rangers conjured up an equaliser with their first meaningful attack of the game through veteran Miller.

Tavernier sent a teasing cross in to the Hibs box and the 36-year-old outmuscled the defence to bullet a header beyond Conrad Logam.

Their lead was almost short-lived as Stokes saw his effort from 30 yards out smack the base of the post a minute later.

It was Rangers’ turn to hit the woodwork in the 32nd minute as Miller’s thumping header from Barrie McKay’s corner hit the bar.

Hibernian bombarded the Rangers goal in the run up to the break with Foderingham pulling off saves to deny Stokes and Cummings before the former sent a header wide of the target from close range with the goal gaping.

Stokes forced Foderingham in to another save shortly after the break and Liam Fontaine headed wide as Hibs looked to pick up where they had left off.

However, restored Glasgow giants Rangers began to slowly get a foothold in the game and a stunning strike from Halliday put them in front for the first time in the 64th minute.

The former Bradford City midfielder took a touch before rifling an unstoppable strike in to the bottom left hand corner from 20 yards out.

Hibernian looked to Stokes for a response and after twice firing off target the striker headed the Easter Road side level as he got in front of Tavernier to nod Liam Henderson’s corner in from close range.

With time running out Gray became the hero for Hibs as he bulleted home Henderson’s corner to claim the cup for the Edinburgh club.

Follow us on Twitter @NatSportUAE

Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/TheNationalSport