Live updates: Follow the latest news on US-Iran war
At least seven people have been killed and 24 wounded in Israeli strikes on Beirut, as explosions rocked the Lebanese capital and could be heard in other parts of the country.
The casualties from the overnight strikes were among 50 dead and 185 injured in the past 24 hours, the Lebanese Health Ministry said on Wednesday.
Israel's military meanwhile said it killed senior Hezbollah commander Youssef Ismail Hashem, the head of Hezbollah's southern front.
The attacks on Beirut began just after midnight with a strike on a vehicle in the Khalde area, south of Beirut, in which two people were killed and three wounded. A second strike hit vehicles in the city's Jnah district, killing at least five people and wounding 21, Lebanon's Health Ministry reported.
The two areas have taken in a large number of people displaced from southern Lebanon by fighting between the Israeli military and Hezbollah, as well as Israel's forced displacement orders.
Another strike was carried out at about 3am in Beirut's southern suburb of Hadath, although there were no initial reports of fatalities.
Israel's military said it had carried out two strikes against senior Hezbollah members in Beirut, but did not identify them or say whether they had been killed.
Hezbollah said one of its members, Mohammad Baqir Al Nabulsi, was killed in the strike on Jnah. He was the nephew of the group's spokesman, Mohammad Afif Nabulsi, who was killed in an Israeli strike in 2024.
“We entered the battle factoring in that we could withstand the offensive, even if it were to last two years. The fight will be prolonged as long as Israel chooses to continue it,” said a Hezbollah official.
The official said Iran had signalled that any settlement or ceasefire offered by the US “would be demanded by Tehran to be comprehensive”. Iran “will not halt its role in the war or exit it alone, but rather alongside its allies, as the battle is viewed as a single, unified front,” they added.
Israel intensified its bombing of Lebanon and launched a limited ground invasion after Hezbollah began firing rockets at Israel on March 2, two days after an air strike on Tehran killed Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Israeli attacks have killed more than 1,300 people in Lebanon and injured nearly 4,000 since then.
The Lebanese Army, which is not involved in the fighting, said on Wednesday it had redeployed units from some of the Christian border villages of Rmeish, Debl and Ain Ebel to ensure they were not surrounded.



