Nexans wins cable contract for Abu Dhabi’s Nasr oilfield

The French cabling company Nexans has won a €90 million contract for the Nasr oilfield development, part of Abu Dhabi’s major offshore development, which produced its first barrel in January.

Powered by automated translation

The French cabling company Nexans has won a €90 million (Dh367.9m) contract for the Nasr oilfield development, part of Abu Dhabi’s major offshore development, which produced its first barrel in January this year.

Nexans said that South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy Industries, the project’s lead contractor, awarded it the concession to supply high-voltage subsea power cables for Nasr’s first phase of development, which is expected to add 22,000 barrels per day of production by the end of this year.

Abu Dhabi Marine Operating Company (Adma-Opco) said in January that the first crude oil from Nasr began flowing at 6,000 bpd into Abu Dhabi’s offshore production system.

When the field is fully developed by the end of 2018 it is expected to produce 65,000 bpd, with the oil flowing through a pipeline to Total’s Abu Al Bukoosh processing facility and then to Das Island for storage and export.

The Nexans contract is the latest in a series as the project ramps up toward full-field development.

Earlier this week, a unit of the Swedish engineering company Sandvik won two contracts for an undisclosed amount to supply control lines for the Nasr project.

The Nasr field is operated remotely but is part of the greater Umm Shaif offshore “supercomplex”, which is a plank of Abu Dhabi National Oil Company’s strategy to add production capacity from offshore fields of 300,000 bpd by 2018.

Adnoc has said it plans along with its partners to spend about US$25 billion over the next five years to reach the production goal.

Adma-Opco is 60 per cent owned by Adnoc, with BP, France’s Total and Japan Oil Development holding the remaining 40 per cent.

The Nasr oilfield is located approximately 130 kilometres north-west of the capital.

amcauley@thenational.ae

Follow The National's Business section on Twitter