Kiwi pop star Lorde has been accused of bigotry in a very public act of naming and shaming by American-based pro-Israeli group.
The World Values Network denounced the Royals singer in a full-page advertisement taken out in the December 31 edition of The Washington Post. The 21-year-old is described as taking part in a "global anti-Semitic boycott of Israel".
The attack follows the singer's decision to cancel her Israel tour dates after criticism from pro-Palestinian groups. She also received an open letter from two fans — one Palestinian and one Jewish — urging her not to play in Israel.
"Playing in Tel Aviv will be seen as giving support to the policies of the Israeli government, even if you make no comment on the political situation," reads the letter. "Please join the artistic boycott of Israel, cancel your Israeli tour dates and make a stand. Your voice will join many others and together we can and will make a difference."
Prior to cancelling her shows, Lorde said on Twitter that she had been speaking with "many people about this and considering all options".
The ad was paid for through an appeal launched on the crowdfunding platform Go Fund Me by the World Values Network's executive director, Rabbi Shmuley Boteach.
Headlined "Lorde and New Zealand ignore Syria to attack Israel", the ad says the singer's decision was further proof of how “growing prejudice against the Jewish State” in New Zealand was “trickling down to its youth”.
Israel's ambassador to New Zealand appealed to the pop star to meet him after she cancelled her show.
Itzhak Gerbera said it was "regrettable" that the concert had been called off and that the boycott of his country represented "hostility and intolerance".
"I invite you to meet me in person to discuss Israel, its achievements and its role as the only democracy in the Middle East," Mr Gerberg said in a letter posted on the Israeli embassy's Facebook page.