Ask Ali: Hijama's healing power and housing for pets

Ali Al Saloom gives advice on back pain, accommodation and business.

Dear Ali: I live in Ras Al Khaimah and would like to know where I can get hijama [blood letting though a small skin incision] done since the treatment has helped me in the past with my back pain. RT, Ras Al Khaimah

Dear RT: Hijama rids the body of toxins and stale blood, and encourages healthier circulation. One of the best things about the treatment is that it is beneficial even to people who don't suffer from illness and are looking only to improve or maintain their well-being.

In RAK there is a clinic in the Um Al Arj area run by Moza Al Mazroui. She is a licensed hijama practitioner and a professional who studied hijama as a medicine and conducted research at the Al-Azhar University in Egypt. You might need an appointment. Call 050 110 2626.


Dear Ali: What can you tell me about housing costs and recommendations in Abu Dhabi? I'm thinking of taking a job there and want to be near the American High School, if possible. I would prefer a town house or villa as we're bringing our two dogs and want a three- or four-bedroom place. How much should we budget? ED, United States

Dear ED: You might get accommodation provided by your employer, or receive a housing allowance and find a place of your own choice. I assume you refer to the American International School as a landmark. If you want to find a villa with three or four bedrooms, you should budget between Dh183,000 (US$50,000) a year for a place in the suburbs of Abu Dhabi, such as Mussafah or Khalifa City, and Dh367,000 in Abu Dhabi city.

Browse the property listings of the website, one of the popular online sites for sales and rentals, to get a feel for the market. Go to

Some landlords might not be dog-lovers and would refuse to allow you to keep dogs. Emiratis tend to keep dogs for hunting or guarding, but not really as pets, since this is a bit of a tricky issue with our religious views. Be sure to check with a prospective landlord.

Bringing pets into the country is, in general, not a problem, but some administrative preparation is needed. Visit and search for "pets".


Dear Ali: I am wondering about starting a business in the UAE. Do you have to register the business if you are planning to sell only to retailers and online (no storefront for the moment)? KB, Dubai

Dear KB: Yes, everyone who wants to operate a business in the UAE must have it registered, or have an agency that represents his or her products or business.

Sometimes local independent companies will buy your products, but major brands and international companies usually buy only from larger sources. If you are not an Emirati and make your products at home, I recommend you get a licence from a free zone in any emirate that may offer a licence to your field. If you plan to sell abayas or jalabiyas that you make, many local stores will buy them, even though it's not legal.

Emirati women may go to the Chamber of Commerce and get the "mubdia" licence, which allows them to operate from home without needing to have an office and rent and so on.


Language lesson

Arabic: Tamweel

English: Funding

When seeking funding for a product or a concept from banks or investors, in Arabic you would say: "Ana mehtaj tamweel", which means "I need funding".

Published: August 3, 2011 04:00 AM


Editor's Picks
Sign up to:

* Please select one