We live in a word-of-mouth culture played out in 140 characters, a snap or a #NoFilter Instagram post. Which is why so called social-media “influencers” are perceived as wielding immense power when it comes to recommending places to see and products to try. Pictures on Instagram can become trending topics in their own right, and the reach of the post can extend around the world, beyond borders and regions – even landing on the doorstep of entertainment giants, such as E! Entertainment.
That was the case for six personalities from the Middle East, who will make their television debuts on a new show called My Fabulous M.E., which debuts on December 26. Three 30-minute episodes, premiering back-to-back, will offer viewers a snapshot into the lives of these social-media personalities, as well as an insight into the cities they call home: Kuwait, Beirut and Dubai.
The women represent a diverse mix, and range from an architect and a former fashion buyer, to a make-up artist and the founder of a successful online shopping portal.
“I’m super-excited,” says Dubai resident Hadia Ghaleb, the founder of marketing consulting company Ghaleb Production House. “This show is one of a kind for me. I usually go on interviews where I’m asking questions and I reply sitting on a chair, but this time the camera follows me and captures the essence of what it’s like to be in my shoes,” she says.
Here’s a quick introduction to all six stars:
Fatima Almomen (above)
- Kuwaiti by birth, Fatima Almomen studied at the University of Miami.
- She’s an architect, with a keen eye for detail, she knows how to spot a trend - be it a beautiful new skyscraper, a nifty little cafe or a make-up style that will boom in the region.
- Fatima has 1.3 million followers on Instagram.
- Originally from Egypt, 24-year-old Hadia Ghaleb now calls Dubai her home.
- Shortly after finishing university, Ghaleb turned her passion for fashion and the digital world into a business.
- Her marketing company now engages with and creates strategies for some of the region's leading brands. Her social-media platform numbers are impressive, too, with about 863,000 followers on Instagram and 257,000 fans on Facebook.
Dana Al Tuwarish
- The half-Kuwaiti, half-Iraqi Al Tuwarish started her Instagram account when she was a student at the American University of Kuwait.
- She has over 1.8 million followers on Instagram with whom she shares lifestyle tips, and images of her outfits and accessories.
- She regularly collaborates with brands on lifestyle projects, such as with Charbonnel chocolates on a decorative Christmas box this month, and with Swarovski for a Mother's Day event earlier this year.
- This 28-year-old Lebanese fashion blogger and entrepreneur has over 226,000 followers on Instagram
- Nour works with leading lifestyle, luxury and fashion brands, and was a fashion buyer for luxury department store Aïshti.
- She’s also a dedicated mum, her #MinimeandMe hashtag will give you all the feels
Lana El Sahely
- The Lebanese blogger and entrepreneur was born and raised in Cameroon.
- She runs a hugely successful blog and also founded online shopping portal L'Armoire De Lana.
- Her Instagram account has a keen following of 204,000 followers. On this platform, she shares her thoughts, identifies trends and collaborates with leading brands, such as Dolce & Gabbana, whom she walked for during Milan Fashion Week.
- Originally from Lebanon, Maya now calls Dubai her home.
- She has over one million followers on Instagram
- She’s big on YouTube too, having amassed a following of over 500,000 subscribers. The reason? Her very popular make-up tutorials in English and Arabic.
My Fabulous M.E. premiers on E! Entertainment, exclusively on OSN and Wavo on December 26 at 10pm.