Sydney man finds snake in lettuce bought at supermarket

He thought he was looking at a worm until he saw the snake flick its tongue

Sydney emergency services told Alex White that if he were bitten by the venomous snake, 'you’ve got to go to hospital really quickly'. AP
Sydney emergency services told Alex White that if he were bitten by the venomous snake, 'you’ve got to go to hospital really quickly'. AP

Alex White thought he was watching a huge worm writhing in plastic-wrapped lettuce he’d just brought home from a Sydney supermarket – until he saw a tongue flick out.

“I kind of completely freaked out when I saw this little tongue come out of its mouth and start flicking around and realised it was a snake because worms don’t have tongues,” Mr White said on Thursday.

“I definitely kind of panicked a bit,” he added.

It was a venomous, pale-headed snake that authorities say made an 870-kilometre journey to Sydney from a packing plant in the Australian city of Toowoomba, wrapped in plastic with two heads of cos lettuce.

Refrigeration probably lulled the cold-blooded juvenile into a stupor until Mr White bought the lettuce at an inner-city Aldi supermarket on Monday evening and rode his bicycle home with salad and snake in his backpack.

Mr White and his partner, Amelia Neate, saw the snake moving as soon as the lettuce was unpacked on the kitchen table.

They noticed the plastic wrapping was torn and that the snake could escape, so they quickly stuffed the reptile with the lettuce into a plastic food storage container.

Mr White phoned the Wires rescue organisation and a snake handler took it away that night.

Mr White said that before the handler arrived, Wires told him: “If you get bitten, you’ve got to go to hospital really quickly.”

Aldi is investigating how a snake could have found its way into a supermarket.

“We’ve worked with the customer and the team at Wires to identify the snake’s natural habitat, which is certainly not an Aldi store,” the German-based supermarket chain said.

Wires reptile co-ordinator Gary Pattinson said that while the snake was less than 20 centimetres long, it was “as venomous as it will ever be".

Mr Pattinson is caring for the snake until it is returned to Queensland state next week, following the Wires policy of returning rescued wildlife to where it came from.

“It’s the first snake I’ve ever had in sealed, packed produce,” Mr Pattinson said. “We get frogs in them all the time.”

Ms Neate, a German immigrant, said her brush with a venomous snake in a Sydney kitchen was a setback in her efforts to assure relatives in Europe that Australia’s notoriously deadly wildlife was nothing to worry about.

“For the last 10 years or so I’ve told my family at home that Australia’s a really safe country,” Ms Neate said.

“I’ve always said I’m just in the city. It’s totally fine here."

Published: April 16, 2021 04:30 AM

SHARE

Editor's Picks
NEWSLETTERS
Sign up to:

* Please select one

Most Read