Rockets hit Iraq base hosting foreign troops: military

The attack is the third in less than a week

(FILES) In this file photo US Army helicopter crew members look out of their Chinook helicopter as they fly from the US Embassy to Baghdad International airport, following the helicopter of US secretary of State Mike Pompeo, over the Iraqi capital Baghdad on January 9, 2019.  Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned Iraq on March 16, 2020 the US would retaliate "as necessary" against any new assaults on Americans after a slew of rocket attacks.The United States last week launched airstrikes against an Iranian-allied paramilitary group following a deadly attack on an Iraqi base housing US troops -- but rocket fire has continued unabated.
 / AFP / POOL / ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS
Powered by automated translation

Two rockets hit an Iraq base hosting US and other Nato troops on Tuesday, Iraq's military said.

The rockets slammed into the Besmaya base south of Baghdad late Monday night, a statement by the military said, making no mention of casualties.

Spanish forces linked to the US-led coalition fighting ISIS, as well as NATO training forces, are present in Besmaya.

The attack is the third in less than a week after rocket fire killed two American soldiers and a British solider last Wednesday and then more American and Iraqi troops were wounded in another attack on Saturday.

On Friday, the US responded to Wednesday's incident by launching strikes on a number of targets in central Iraq that they said were operated by Kataib Hezbollah, an Iraqi militia backed by Iran.

Iraq made an official complaint over the US strikes saying they were carried out without first coordinating with officials in Baghdad and that they killed Iraqi military personnel and a civilian.