UAE legal Q&As: how can I file a medical complaint against my doctor?

A reader asks if she will be forced to return to her home country after her husband — who is also her sponsor — divorces her

My husband has filed a divorce case against me. I am under his sponsorship and I am concerns I will be forced to return to my home country if he cancels my visa after the divorce.

As per the new visa rule, divorced women, widows and their children may apply for one-year residence visa extension without the need of a sponsor from the date of death of the husband or divorce. This extension will be granted only once and is subject to the Immigration Department’s discretion. You may need to contact legal professionals who provide visa related assistance.

I went to hospital and was prescribed antibiotics. I began to have side-effects after taking the medication. I was admitted to a hospital where I was told I was having an allergic reaction to an ingredient in the medicine. It was an ingredient I had told the first doctor I was allergic to. How can I take legal action against the doctor?

A As per the UAE Medical Liability Law, you may register a medical malpractice complaint with the relevant health authority. The authority will review your complaint, investigate the matter and provide its findings in a report. Based on the report, you may decide to register a criminal complaint with the prosecution services or a civil claim for compensation before the court. You will get more information on your legal position when you meet a UAE-based legal consultant who can advise you on the best course of action.

A person is recklessly calling me and sending me messages claiming that my wife is having an affair, which is not true. He has sent us pictures of a man and woman together in a public area, from which it is clear that the woman in the picture is not my wife. I have blocked him and yet he reached out to our family friend and started spreading rumours about my wife. What legal action can I take against him?

Defamation is a criminal offence in the UAE, which attracts strict punishment. Article 373 of the UAE Penal Code punishes any act that “harms a person’s honour or dignity”. The punishment could be imprisonment or a fine. Moreover, Article 21 of the UAE Cyber Crime Law prohibits the use of electronic means for the purpose of defamation and punishes the act with imprisonment and a fine up to Dh500,000. Since electronic means – including phone calls, pictures and messages – were used to attribute false statements to your wife, you may register a complaint with Dubai Police’s Electronic Crime Department. It is equipped to conduct an investigation to identify the accused and proceed with criminal investigation.

If you have a question for our legal consultant, email with the subject line 'Know the law'.

Published: December 23, 2019 07:28 PM


Editor's Picks
Sign up to:

* Please select one