TikTok's one-pan flipped egg sandwich: how to make the omelette, toastie, French toast hybrid
This is a 10/10 on the sandwich front: and it's easy to make
For the TikTok literate among you, this sandwich is probably not news. However, for those of you who are yet to download the all-singing, all-dancing video app, the one-pan flipped egg sandwich may have passed you by.
But it is going viral for a reason.
Not only is it incredibly easy to make, it is likely that you already have all the ingredients at home, and the outcome is a truly delicious toasted sandwich. It is also an equipment-light make. All you need is a frying pan (10 points to Gryffindor if yours isn't scratched, like mine), a spatula (there is a lot of flipping ahead) and a bowl and fork to beat the eggs.
The sandwich is whipped up in a matter of minutes, and best served straight away when toasted and warm.
The beauty of the dish, is that it's a kind of savoury French toast, omelette, toastie hybrid. It's also very customisable. You can fill it with your choice of cheese or cooked meat, sauces such as ketchup and hot sauce work well too.
When it came to tucking into mine, I cooked it with cheese then added Alison Roman's caramelised shallots, but that's a conversation for another story.
How to make TikTok's one-pan egg breakfast sandwich
- Two slices of bread
- Two eggs (beaten well)
- Knob of butter
- Slices of cheese (or choice of filling)
- Salt and pepper
Method (scroll through the gallery above for visual steps):
- Start by heating up your knob of butter on a medium-high heat.
- When the butter is melted, get your eggs in the pan. Make sure they are beaten well, to avoid white streaks.
- While the egg is still liquid, dip the slices of bread into the egg and then carefully turn them over and place them in the pan, touching to create a rectangle, on top of the beaten eggs. You want to make sure the top of your bread is coated in egg.
- When all of the egg has cooked into a solid round, thin omelette across the whole pan, carefully work the spatula under the egg and bread, and then gently flip it all over so that the bread is directly touching the pan.
- Keep the bread toasting, then add your choice of filling.
- Tidying time: as the bread continues to gently toast, fold the excess egg into the sandwich with your spatula.
- Then fold the bread onto itself to make the sandwich, keeping the pan on the heat.
- After about 30 seconds, flip the sandwich one more time, making sure it's nicely browned on each side.
The finished product:
A TikTok-er at work with the egg sandwich:
Updated: May 7, 2020 02:57 PM