Nearly 400 now dead or missing after Christchurch quake

National emergency declared as 75 bodies are recovered, while about 30 people were rescued overnight, with 300 still missing after New Zealand's worst natural disaster in 80 years.

Rescue workers pull people out of a building damaged by Tuesday's earthquake in Christchurch February 23, 2011. New Zealand rescuers pulled survivors out of rubble on Wednesday 24 hours after a devastating earthquake in Christchurch as the death toll climbed to 75, with many dozens still trapped inside collapsed buildings.     REUTERS/Christchurch Press/Carys Monteath (NEW ZEALAND - Tags: DISASTER ENVIRONMENT) NO SALES. NO ARCHIVES. FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. IT IS DISTRIBUTED, EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS. AUSTRALIA OUT. NO COMMERCIAL OR EDITORIAL SALES IN AUSTRALIA. NEW ZEALAND OUT. NO COMMERCIAL OR EDITORIAL SALES IN NEW ZEALAND
Powered by automated translation

Hundreds of rescuers swarmed over twisted and smoking buildings today in a frantic search for survivors after New Zealand's catastrophic earthquake left nearly 400 dead or missing.

Emergency services cordoned off central Christchurch, which was devastated by Tuesday's shallow, 6.3-magnitude tremor, to hunt for anyone still alive along with an unknown number of bodies buried in the rubble.

Prime minister John Key declared a national emergency as 75 bodies were recovered, while about 30 people were rescued overnight. About 300 people are still missing after New Zealand's worst natural disaster in 80 years.

Mr Key said the quake had "wreaked death and destruction on a dreadful scale" in the country's second biggest city, six months after a 7.0-magnitude quake shook buildings violently in Christchurch but miraculously caused no deaths.

The latest tremor toppled many buildings and left central Christchurch strewn with debris. The city's landmark cathedral lost its spire, and dozens of aftershocks rocked the city, much of which was without power and water.

Rescuers had to amputate limbs to free some survivors, but abandoned hope for any victims trapped in the flattened CTV building, which housed a school for foreign English-language students.

Twenty-four Japanese citizens were among the missing, including 11 students at the college along with a South Korean brother and sister in their early 20s.

Police operations commander Dave Lawry said: "This particular site, CTV site, had a number of overseas students in it and my heart goes out to those families that are away knowing that some of their children, family have probably been killed in this incident.

"The situation is that we don't believe this site is now survivable."

One resident said he saw a woman die with her baby in her arms when she was hit by falling debris in Cashel Street Mall, two blocks from the CTV building. She was killed instantly, but the baby survived.

"We tried to pull these big bricks off (her) … she was gone," Tom Brittenden told the Christchurch Press.

Police Superintendent Russell Gibson warned that the toll was certain to rise as more than 500 emergency workers combed through shattered buildings, listening out for tapping, shouting and other signs of life.

"There is incredible carnage right throughout the city," he told Radio New Zealand. "There are bodies littering the streets, they are trapped in cars and crushed under rubble.

"We are getting texts and tapping sounds from some of these buildings and that's where the focus is at the moment."

Some rescue efforts were frustrated by a two-block exclusion zone around the city's tallest hotel, the Grand Chancellor, as the 26-storey building leaned precariously and looked close to collapse.

But there was applause when a woman wrapped in blankets emerged from the Pyne Gould Corporation building, some 24 hours after the quake rocked busy lunchtime streets at about 12:50 pm on Tuesday.

The survivor's sister, Sally Bodkin-Allen, said her sibling had ducked under a desk when the quake struck.

"It just seems like a miracle … it must be a very strong desk and she must have got under it very quickly," Ms Bodkin-Allen told Fairfax media.

Resident Mark Maynard kept an anxious vigil outside the Pyne Gould building for his wife, who works on the first floor and called 20 minutes before the quake to say she had forgotten her mobile phone.

"It is still no good at the moment. I am hanging around waiting, what do you do?" Mr Maynard told Fairfax.

But there was good news with the rescue of Australian Anne Vos who on her mobile phone had given an extraordinary interview with a television station from beneath the desk where she was trapped for more than a day.

"I know I'm bleeding and I can feel the ground is quite wet," she said of her ordeal from hospital, where she was treated for broken ribs and cuts.

Vos said she had had plenty of time trapped under four storeys of rubble to reassess her priorities in life. "Like not worrying about stupid things," she quipped.

The clock is ticking for those still trapped, with New Zealand's emergency management chief, John Hamilto,n saying rescuers may have just two or three days to pull out anyone still alive.

The quake was the deadliest to hit New Zealand since 256 people died in a 1931 tremor.

A leading disaster modelling company, AIR Worldwide, said the disaster would cost the insurance industry up to NZ$11.5 billion (Dh31.5bn).

Specialist teams from Australia, Britain, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and the United States were due to join the rescue operation as an international effort swung into action.

Irish authorities said that two of its citizens have died in the quake and there were "serious concerns" about two other citizens.