How to report traffic accidents in the UAE

From write-offs to minor prangs, the police need to know

An officer inspects a vehicle in which three people died. Courtesy: UAQ Police
Powered by automated translation

You and another motorist have come into contact on the road – and knowing what to do in any event, big or small, can save time and hassle.

Firstly, it is important to carry your driving licence, car registration and insurance details with you. If you don't have it, you may have to visit the police station.

Reporting an accident

  • If it is a minor incident, where no one is injured, move the vehicles to the side of the road. However, if moving the vehicles might impact determining who is at fault, leave everything as it is
  • Call 999. The dispatcher will send the traffic police, who should be at the scene within 15 minutes
  • If the other driver leaves before the police arrive, take down the vehicle's make, model and number plate
  • The officer will determine who is at fault and will provide two forms. A green one for the driver not at fault; and a pink one for the driver thought to be at fault
  • If either party disagrees with the officer's assessment, the matter can be taken to the nearest police station

Minor accidents

Minor accidents can now be reported at petrol stations or via the Dubai Police App.

The procedure is:

  • Download the app on iTunes or on Google Play
  • Click on report an accident service
  • A map will pop up with your location, so enable your location services
  • Click report accident and list the vehicles involved (up to five vehicles can be added for minor prangs)
  • Choose the vehicle types
  • Take a photo of the damaged area of your vehicle
  • Enter the details about the driver responsible for the incident
  • Click on "options" and describe the cause of the incident
  • Enter your contact details – police will file an accident report for your insurer

Reporting incidents at a petrol station

Since the start of the year, you can file an accident report at three Enoc stations in Dubai. Police will be extending the service to other places, including Al Rasheed Street; in Al Mizher; Al Khail Road near exit 44; Arabian Ranches; and Al Khail Road near Al Barsha police station.

Parked cars

Even if your car is hit while it is parked, you need to notify the police. If there is extensive damage, call the police. If it is minor, go to the police station to file a report. The authorities will issue a damage report, at a cost, which you can send to your insurer.

The bottom line is that you can't get your car fixed without a police report and insurance companies will not cover repair costs without this report.