ABU DHABI // The President, Sheikh Khalifa, on Monday added four new names to an expanded Abu Dhabi Executive Council.
Sheikh Khalifa issued a decree stating that Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, will stay as Chairman of the new-look council.
Sheikh Hazza bin Zayed will continue as his Vice Chairman.
New faces on the council include Riyad Abdulrahman Al Mubarak, Chairman of the Finance Department, and Sheikh Abdullah bin Mohammed Al Hamed, Chairman of the Energy Authority.
The other two additions are Dr Ali Rashid Al Nuaimi, Vice Chancellor of UAE University, who is now Director General of the Abu Dhabi Education Council, and Awaida Murshed Al Marar, who is Chairman of the Department of Municipal Affairs and Transport.
Current members with new responsibilities include Saeed Eid Al Ghafli, formerly the Chairman of the Department of Municipal Affairs, who has been appointed Chairman of the Executive Office.
Mohammed Khalfan Al Romaithi, is the new Commander-in-Chief of Abu Dhabi Police.
Dr Mugheer Khamis Al Khaili, former acting director general at Adec, is now Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Health Authority.
The remaining members are: Sheikh Hamed bin Zayed, Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Crown Prince’s Court; Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa; Sheikh Sultan bin Tahnoon; Dr Ahmed Mubarak Al Mazrouei, Secretary General of the Executive Council; Khaldoun Khalifa Al Mubarak, Chairman of the Executive Affairs Authority; and Ali Majeed Al Mansoori, Chairman of the Department of Economic Development.
Sheikh Khalifa also decreed that Dr Sultan Al Jaber – Minister of State, Chairman of Masdar and Chief Executive of energy at Mubadala – be appointed Director General of the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company.
Brig Gen Maktoum Ali Al Sharifi was promoted to the rank of Major General and appointed the Acting Director General of Abu Dhabi Police.
Analysts believed the changes were part of a desire to put into place the best people for the current environment.
“These changes in Abu Dhabi are significant for their across-the-board adjustment in the emirate’s requirements to meet the challenges that are presented today to Abu Dhabi and the UAE,” said Dr Theodore Karasik, senior adviser to Gulf State Analytics.
“These new appointments are part of bringing more robustness, not only to Abu Dhabi but to the UAE’s capabilities. What they signal is an across-the-board adjustment in how Abu Dhabi functions in a challenging security and energy environment.
“Finally, they reflect the emirate’s forward-leaning desire to stay ahead of issues related to low oil prices.”
Here is the complete list of Abu Dhabi Executive Council Members:
• Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces: Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Executive Council
• Sheikh Hazza bin Zayed, National Security Adviser: Vice-Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Executive Council
• Sheikh Hamed bin Zayed, Chief of the Abu Dhabi Crown Prince’s Court: Executive Council Member
• Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa: Executive Council Member
• Sheikh Sultan bin Tahnoun: Executive Council Member
• Dr Ahmed Al Mazrouei: Secretary General of the Executive Office
• Khaldoon Al Mubarak: Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Executive Affairs Authority (EAA)
• Dr Mugheer Al Khaili: head of Health Authority
• Saeed Eid Al Ghafli: Chairman of the Executive Office
• Ali Majed Al Mansouri: Chairman of the Department of Economic Development
• Mohammed Khalfan Al Rumaithi, chief of Abu Dhabi Police
• Riyadh Abdulrahman Al Mubarak, chairman of the Abu Dhabi Accountability Authority: head of the Department of Finance
• Sheikh Abdullah bin Mohammed Al Hamed, chairman of the Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority: Head of the Energy Authority
• Dr Ali Rashid Al Nuaimi, vice chancellor of UAE University: director general of Abu Dhabi Education Council
• Awaidha Al Marar: Chairman of Municipal and Transport Affairs