Chisora freed by police without charge after brawl with David Haye

The challenger got into a fight with David Haye and his coach after Klitschko defeat.

epa03112436 Ukrainian boxer Vitali Klitschko (R) fights British boxer Dereck Chisora (L) during the WBC World Heavyweight Championship in the Olympic hall in Munich, Germany, 18 February 2012. Klitschko defended his World Boxing Council heavyweight title.  EPA/Peter Kneffel
Powered by automated translation

MUNICH // Dereck Chisora was freed without charge by Munich Police yesterday following his brawl with David Haye on Saturday night, but Haye’s whereabouts remain unknown and he is still wanted for questioning.

A spokesman for Munich police said Chisora, the British heavyweight boxer, was free to return to England after being detained in the Germany to answer questions about the altercation with Haye.

But the spokesman added that Haye, the British former WBA heavyweight champion, was not at his hotel yesterday morning and did not turn up for his scheduled flight.

They are still eager to talk to him about his involvement in the brawl, which occurred at a post-fight press conference following Chisora’s points defeat to WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko.

Chisora and fellow Londoner Haye came to blows after Chisora’s defeat by unanimous decision to Klitschko.

Chisora taunted Haye about losing the WBA belt to Klitschko’s younger brother Wladimir last July, leading to a heated exchange before Chisora knocked a bottle out of Haye’s hand and they came to blows.

Haye also fought with members of Chisora’s entourage, and his coach, Adam Booth, was left bleeding from a cut on his head.

Camera equipment went flying and reporters fled before security eventually managed to separate the men and police arrived.

"You've really lost it this time," Chisora told Haye.
Before the brawl Chisora told Haye: "I think we all heard excuses about a broken toe," referring to Haye's loss to Wladimir Klitschko in Germany last July.

Klitschko, 40, beat Chisora in a bruising bout in which the Ukrainian claimed to have fought from the fourth round with only his right fist after injuring his left shoulder.

Klitschko was being examined in a Munich hospital yesterday to determine the extent of the injury.

Chisora found little support from the sell-out crowd of 12,500 in Munich after slapping Vitali Klitschko's face at the weigh-in on Friday, and ensured the ill feelings continued when he spat water in Wladimir's face as his brother's record was being called out before their bout.

“I wanted to knock him out, to be honest,” Vitali Klitschko said. “Such a cheek.”