Beirut blast investigation suspended for fourth time

Judge Tarek Bitar resumed work on the inquiry only two weeks ago

For many Lebanese Bitar is their only hope for truth and accountability in a country that craves both. AP
Beta V.1.0 - Powered by automated translation

The Lebanese judge leading investigations into last year's Beirut port blast was forced to stop work on Thursday over a lawsuit filed by former ministers he had summoned for interrogation, an official said.

The suspension is the fourth since Tarek Bitar was chosen to lead investigations in February.

It comes two weeks since Mr Bitar was cleared to resume work after a series of court challenges raised by political leaders derailed his efforts.

On Thursday, Mr Bitar was informed of a lawsuit submitted by legislators Ghazi Zeaiter and Ali Hasan Khalil – both members of the Shiite Amal Movement – which forced him to pause the inquiry until a ruling is issued, a court official told AFP.

The total number of lawsuits against Mr Bitar now stands at 18, the official said, most of which were filed by officials he is seeking to question on suspicion of criminal negligence.

Rights groups and relatives of blast victims have repeatedly condemned what they describe as blatant political interference in the investigation.

They say it aims to preserve a culture of political impunity in a country where even assassinations and bombings can go unpunished.

The August 4, 2020 explosion was caused by a huge stockpile of ammonium nitrate fertiliser that was stored haphazardly at Beirut port for years.

Top political and security officials knew of the dangers posed by the shipment but failed to take action.

The powerful Shiite movement Hezbollah is leading demands to remove Mr Bitar.

Its ministers have said they will boycott Cabinet sessions until an official decision is taken to replace him.

As a result, the government, which was formed in September to address an escalating economic crisis, has failed to meet since October, despite mounting woes.

Families of the Beirut Blast victims - in pictures

Updated: December 23, 2021, 2:42 PM
EDITOR'S PICKS
NEWSLETTERS
MORE FROM THE NATIONAL