DUBAI // A huge fire erupted on Tuesday morning in a mechanical workshop in Umm Ramool industrial area, near Festival City, destroying at least 15 shops in the complex.
A Dubai Civil Defence spokesman said the blaze started at the Mohammed Al Suweidi workshop at about 6am and was put out by 8.44am. By noon, fire trucks were still lined up outside the workshop complex, pumping water into shops to dampen down any embers.
“There were no injuries but there was a lot of damage, including 15 stores, two vehicles and four bedrooms that accommodate workers,” said the DCD spokesman.
Nooreddine Nabil, 29, was at the scene and said his car was one of the vehicles damaged in the fire.
“It was an Infiniti, and it is completely destroyed. There’s nothing left of it to drive,” he said. “I brought the car to the shop to get fixed a couple of days ago and was supposed to be pick it up yesterday, but it wasn’t ready.
“It’s OK, I’m happy that no one was hurt and it’s only material damage.”
Meanwhile, the manager of one of the shops affected said the incident was very unfortunate, especially as he had no insurance to cover the damage.
“My friend called me in the morning and told me to come to the shop quickly, and we saw that the whole place was on fire,” he said. “The shop and everything in it was completely destroyed.”
It is not yet clear how the fire started, as the authorities said they are still investigating the incident. However, one of the workers at the mechanical workshop said that he believe it was an electrical issue.
“It may be related to electricity. I think it was a short circuit that led to the fire but we cannot know for sure until the [authorities] confirm it,” said M B. “Some of the workers’ rooms, which are located above the shops, were destroyed but everyone is alive. Thank God.”
Other witnesses at the scene said the fire started off small on the left side of the complex and, within minutes, it gained momentum and spread to the right.
Fire units from Al Rashidiya, Al Qusais, Al Quoz, Port Saeed and Al Karama took part in putting out the fire.